• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full length AAL

shawn57nomad

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! I've been reading about lifts here for some time and am not new to the Jeep scene previously owning a lifted TJ some years back. Yes I used the search function, Ha! Currently rebuilding my 2000 XJ Classic, AW4, 8.25, NP231 210,000 miles with Upcountry parts. I also have NOS MJ shackles, Rubicon shocks, BPE's, JKS Track bar and ACOS along with QD's, Iron Man 4x4 arms (on the way this week), new rear brakes, U-bolts, 245/75-16 Hankook RF10 x 5, SYE on the way, relay kit w/ Euro lamp conversion, oil pan gasket, u-joints, motor mounts and trans mounts to be ordered yet, new cables installed from MeanLemons (very nice kit), all vac elbows and evap hoses repaired with fuel line hose (thanks to all here for the write-ups), and many more seals and gaskets for the XJ. Really looking for an AAL that'll give 1-1.5" to a factory set of Upcountry leaves. Also, has anyone used OME D22XL in conjunction with the factory leaf packs?

Add a leaves are usually temporary additions for a sagged spring pack. The stock springs are crap and will continue to collapse, with hard use .

With all the other things you are adding to your XJ, the AAL money would be better spent on a full spring pack, at the lift you desire.
Been there, wish I hadn't wasted the time on a AAL before finally getting full packs.

I have used the full length add a leaf from Iron Rock installed on new Crown Up Country leaf packs on 2 vehicles along with extended / properly angled shackles. They have held up very well and have been used hard.

No experience with the OME add a leaf the OP asked about though.

How do you like the flex now? XJ's tend to be stiffer in the rear by nature and you would be increasing the spring rate with the AAL. I would definitely get a full pack to match your front springs.

IMO stock XJ suspension is rather floppy. A full length AAL installed into a not saggy stock XJ leaf pack works well. The spring rate does increase slightly, but doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I have run this lift set-up several times at the Fall Fling in Moab. I have also built several low cost hybrid XJ Bastard Packs from S-10 spring packs with excellent results. If one is worried about spring rate, using an XJ spring pack for donor leaves will result in the most stock like spring rate.

I have used the same RE 2.5" full length AAL in two different Cherokees. The OME part is good stuff and should be fine.

Back