• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommondations on a good steering box for xj?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
replaced my steering box a few months ago, with a 90's (ish) Durango box.
thing is sloppy as heck. I can move the steering wheel almost two inches either way without wheel movement. I've tried the adjustment nut on the box, ended up screwing it in almost all the way (and then backed off obviously), it's better, but still sloppy.

I'm running 35" tires, so this shouldn't really be an issue. I bought a remand'd box, could that be the issue?

I'm more than willing to spend money... any recommendations for a good, new, steering box that is nice and tight?

i have a 98 or 99 durango box, snow plow version, it has no play in it what so ever and it turns effortlessly. if your box is sloppy id say you got a bad unit, mine is almost too touchy.

If you're not running the WJ pump that could be your problem. You need more pressure from the pump and a stock XJ pump isn't going to cut it for a the bigger durango box.

I ran a Lares reman no issues. Redhead, PSC and a few others are good if you want to spend some $.

If you're not running the WJ pump that could be your problem. You need more pressure from the pump and a stock XJ pump isn't going to cut it for a the bigger durango box.

I ran a Lares reman no issues. Redhead, PSC and a few others are good if you want to spend some $.

I do have a stock (rem'd, recently replaced) pump, but I'm not sure that's the problem-- the wheels move effortlessly, even at slow speed , on the rocks. It's just so damn sloppy.

I have heard reman boxes are hit or miss. Maybe buy a reman box and have PSC rebuild it. Or just send yours to them if it’s not your dd. I run a PSC box and it’s been great. They’re just pricey. Rebuilds aren’t too bad though.

Running 35"s?
A PSC big bore box and power steering pump are a good choice.
I have been running this combo for years without issues.
Expensive? Yes and worth it if you plan on keeping your XJ for many years.

Running 35"s?
A PSC big bore box and power steering pump are a good choice.
I have been running this combo for years without issues.
Expensive? Yes and worth it if you plan on keeping your XJ for many years.

^^^ This!

ok, I'm not adverse to spending money. any particular model I should look at ?

BTW, I'm seeing steering boxes that specify different splin count ... what's the spline count on a stock XJ?

You're mixing that up. Pretty much every pump I've tested puts out 1200-1400 psi. It's the volume that changes

ok, I'm not adverse to spending money. any particular model I should look at ?

BTW, I'm seeing steering boxes that specify different splin count ... what's the spline count on a stock XJ?

PSC sells an XJ specific box so you don’t need to know the details. I’m running their box with a stock pump and hydro assist and the stock pump is fine. No need to replace that IMO unless it’s absolutely necessary

Very happy with PSC box (not the big bore box), OE pump with genright overdrive pulley.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-...tl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_pDetail_productSpecs

cM5bgF0h.jpg

ok.. so help me out on on this.
So far, I have zero issues with the turning ability of the Durango box I have... it's effortless, even on the trails at low speed. It's the sloppiness that's killing me. So I'm tired of playing the reman'd lottery, and just want a quality, precision built box.

do I need the pcs big bore? More than happy to spend $900 if it gets me fantastic quality, but if the non big bore is just as good, but without the turning power of the big bore, wouldn't the non big-bore be enough?

whitexj,
how do you like that non bigbore pcs steering box?
I'm really looking to calm down the terror of driving my xj at 50 MPH, with 2" of play in the steering wheel.
Is it tight? good feel at higher speeds? I know the XJ will never be a good on the streets, just want to make it bearable.

Last edited:
Mine is also the non big bore and turning is fine. I’ve had it for years and there’s no slop in it at all. Even without my hydro assist I can turn 35’s on the street while stopped with one finger. You’ll be fine without the big bore and no ports if you don’t see your jeep growing much.

Mine is also the non big bore and turning is fine. I’ve had it for years and there’s no slop in it at all. Even without my hydro assist I can turn 35’s on the street while stopped with one finger. You’ll be fine without the big bore and no ports if you don’t see your jeep growing much.

Thanks. I don't see going past 35"s for a while. The truck in its current build is past my skill, I have some catching up to do. And the next thing I'll have to change anyway is the front axle if I want to go bigger tires.

What are ports for? hydro assist?

I think the non big bore box is what you want. I was also just looking for tighter steering. Went from the oe box with 140k to the Durango box and it was no change. Went to the psc and it's much tighter.

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. and saving $400 isn't too bad either :)

I didn't realize how bad my box was on my 2000 after 17yrs. But after re-doing my entire front end I realized the box needed replacing too. Not wanting to chance a rebuilt I went for the PSC, the PSC box was nice and tight!

ok, you guys convinced me. And in the spirit of always overbuying for jeep, i bought the PCS big bore.

This is officially the smallest part I've bought for the jeep that cost more than the jeep did when I originally bought it :)

Back