• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount Replacement (searched)

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but could not find definate instructions to replace a motor mount, mines broken and its causing fan to pitch into the fan shrowd and make an aweful noise.

Can someone provide me with step by step replacement instuctions for the drivers side? how do i get around the intake? Etc. Etc.

Thanks you very much,
Owen

Which side? If it's pitching the fan towards the rad I would guess it's the left (driver) side. The mount on the driver side is fairly straight forward. Brace the motor using a jack and block of wood under the sump section of the oil pan (to spread the weight of the motor as much as able). Raise the block/motor slightly. The front of the Jeep will rise as you take the weight of the engine off the suspension so how far to raise the motor is the hardest part. Remove the long bolt that passes through the engine mount bracket and the mount. Start with very little lift on the motor and raise it a bit at a time until the bolt will slide out. Once the large bolt is out you can remove the two under the mount (frame side attachment) and lift the bad mount out. Replacement is the reverse of removal.

The passenger side is similar but you have to contend with the oil filter and bracket and depending on year the AC drier that will need moved/removed to get the long bolt out.

Depending on what you do with your Jeep you may want to look into some aftermarket mounts. I run M.O.R.E.'s rubber mounts and would recommend them strongly if you run big tires, hot rod around, or off road. If it's a stock daily driver the stock mounts will work fine and give less transmitted vibrations. Poly mounts will rattle your teeth and IMHO aren't any better than the ones I run.

As a side note be sure to check the opposite side mount and the tranny mount. If one is at the end of its service life the others probably not to much better.

Bones :skull1:

Random picture:

x2 with what Bones says above plus remove the air filter box to give you more room to work. One at a time. Replace both motor mounts and the one anchoring the tc at the center crossmember. Do this and you can stop worrying about when the next mount is getting ready to go. Jack up the engine carefully just enough to take the weight off one side, remove old and replace new, then do the other side. Use the wood to spread the force and not damage the pan. Check for gaps between the new mount and the bracket which holds it in place and shim(washer)if necessary. It's a dirty, sometimes knuckle busting project but one that is simple and can go quickly. Can being the key word since there is no guarantee. Alien small hands would also be nice to fit in that crowded area on the passenger side.

excellent guys thanks, is it ok to run it for a little while till i have enough time off work to do it? how do i change the trans mount? jack up the trannly slights and remove the bolts? that easy?

im pretty sure im just gunna go with some stock mounts. it is mostly a DD i only take it down trails from time to time, and im not much for "hot rodding" around in my daily driver vehicles

I wouldn;t wait too long, one bad mount will lead to more bad mounts, I supported the transmission while I dropped the crossmember, unblted the old mount, put the new one in and put the crossmember back up in.

jason @ jeepin.com com has a write-up on changing over to M.O.R.E motor mounts on his site. I recently did the M.O.R.E mounts and they are pretty easy. If you have a TC drop take that out 1st. You will be able to get the mounts out with the TC drop in but not back in. The M.O.R.E mounts are vibing a little bit right now but it is tolerable, and its getting better everyday. I used a 2x4 on the oil pan and it would out great. Oh yeah the bolts are not very tight at all

maine96xj said:
excellent guys thanks, is it ok to run it for a little while till i have enough time off work to do it? how do i change the trans mount? jack up the trannly slights and remove the bolts? that easy?

im pretty sure im just gunna go with some stock mounts. it is mostly a DD i only take it down trails from time to time, and im not much for "hot rodding" around in my daily driver vehicles

Running with it very long will lead to a cracked exhaust header. Fix it now.

Thanks for all the help guys. changed out the broken drivers side mount today, took about 45 mins to an hour. heres pics of the old drivers side mount...little scary

S5000670.jpg

S5000673.jpg

Mine had no rubber at all left across the top. No wonder that booger was dancing around in there...

You were due for a replacement. Did you go OEM style or aftermarket?

Back