• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap

cj7xjmj

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have been trying to sel my 90 MJ swb with a smoking motor for a while, and just had no real buyers. Well Today a couple of friends came over to make it happen. Since I have a gravel driveway I went and purchased some 3/4 CDX and it worked great.

Here is the donor motor on work area

What 3 sheets of cdx looks like with an engine lift on it

Jeep and engine and lift on plywwod

We ended up pulling the whole drivetrain complete. This made us take a few extra steps, but over all it went off with out a hitch.

First Jeff Unbolted the header and radiator , while I went underneath and unbolted the driveshafts.

Just about the time we got finished with the radaitor and stuff.. it started to mist and rain.. so out came the EZ up and work continued

Derreck being the counter weight while I slowly push the jeep back. Jeff is raising the motor up as it frees itself.

Here the t-case is clearing the front bumper.

There were not many pics taken from this point. Bascially we divided and conquered the rest of the swap. We did find out that the 87 and 90 mj harnesses were different when it came to the alt sub harness. Besides that ... after a lil trouble shooting the engine started right up. Not bad for a lil over 6 hrs work.

one little thing I forgot to finish Pat......the wiring from the main harness to the reverse light switch on the tranny. The connectors are different, and I meant to splice them but forgot. You'll probably need them for inspection....the two connectors are laying on the top of the bellhousing on the passenger side, right by the evap canister.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will go look at it in a few minutes... I just got back from auto parts store from buying oil and other fluids. Would have been nice if derrick could have gotten his small hands up in there to do that

Well, I finally got around to making this rig street legal today. The battery ended up taking a dump. Not sure why, but would not hold a charge. So swaped that out. Wifey helped me bleed the clutch last night.. what a PITA, but done, and working right. Lastly I took it to get the exhaust fixed/state inspection. The last owner put some truly booger welds on the mounting flrange, that caused a leak, carried it to a shop, and for 15 bucks they cut out the bad section and rewelded it. Lastly took it for the state safety inspection, and it passed. SO now I officiallyt have a street legal jeep for the first time in yrs.

Back