• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 4.0 wont start please help!

supertubesocks

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the quick version.
I have a 91 xj with 4.0 automatic 231j tcase.

The jeep was sitting for years and i just got it running. Then was forced to rebuild the engine. We got the engine back in and it wont start. The engine is getting fuel and spark. the exhaust is getting warm but just wont fire.

Here is the list of new parts.
plugs
plug wires
cap n rotor
Header
fuel pump and filter
crank position sensor
harmonic balancer
cam shaft

Please help with anything else to try.
Thanks in advance.

probably not it but check the neutral safety switch.I have a 96 cherokee and mine wouldnt start except for in neutral then it wouldnt start at all :( took out the safety switch and it was all gummed up. I had my buddy help me with it but i know how to do it now.

are the injectors firing? I had that issue once where after cleaning the injectors and putting them back in, i messed up the order of the wires, and it wouldnt start.

But I dont think youd be getting spark or anything if this were the case.

I've checked the fuel using the relief valve on the rail, and also used a stethascope on the injectors, they are all clicking.
We suspect timing is the issue, but it seems like the rotor is pointing at plug#1. Is there any other components in the ignition system to check?
The engine cranks and tries to fire but just wont run.

Do you have spark?

Yes, we pulled the wires and put an old plug on them.

Originally we were only getting one spark but then i replaced the cps and it's getting good spark.

Could it have anything to do with the wiring harness hooked up incorrectly?
There were 3 wires with ring terminals on the left side of the engine bay that i just grounded to the engine block.

Is there an ignition control module that i can check?

Back