• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sludge

obx-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I was getting ready to do an oil change last night and when I crawled under the jeep it appears as if everything is seeping. There was a little seepage from both differentials also the transmission and transfer case. It seemed that down the center of my Jeep oill was be srayed back as I was driving. It's an '01 with 4.5" of lift running 31's. I don't know if that helps at all but...Any ideas of what might be going on would be appreciated.:bawl:

degrease the whole thing, then start looking for leaks.
back of the valv cover is common, as is some seepage from the oil filter adapter.
if you've got rubber plugs in the diff's then that's a common leak too.

I checked the fluid levels last night and they seemed fine. I just hope it nothing major or incredibly expensive. The differnetial I am not to concerned about because I am getting ready to regear. I also notice on the engeinge cover there appeared to be a little wet as well. Nothing major but just part of the cover looked wet.

It's a Jeep. Jeeps leak.

Seriously, after a certain amount of time, various things will seep, and unless you're seeing puddles, I'd relax about it. Check engine gaskets, etc., and make sure the oil filter adapter is not leaking, and make sure there is no big leakage from the tailshaft of the transfer case, and then chill. It can take years of that kind of leakage before any fluid levels go down enough to worry about.

The oil filter adapter is usually the biggest culprit, read this http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm before you attempt the repair, Purchase the O ring kit from jeep (It cost less than $5) The repair took me 30Minutes once I rigged up a wrench to get the T-60 torx head bolt out.
I used a short 3/8 drive T-60 (From autozone) on a 3/8 breaker bar & a 3 foot lenght of heavy 1" pipe to break the Torx bolt loose.
good luck

Back