• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Cluster Bulbs

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
While tending to a post i had over on Jeepforum.com in the TJ section, i stumbled upon a post for led lights to go in the guage cluster:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370486

It says to order 5 #74 bulbs... so i did, assuming the guage clusters were the same on my '97 XJ. Well, now that i've looked around, it appears that i need the #194 bulbs
confused.gif

Can anybody tell me what bulbs to use in my '97? i sure hope the 74's will work because i got a little excited and jumped the gun, i ordered 5 of the red ones last night
laugh2.gif

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, you'll need the 194s. You can pick up red or blue colored 194s at just about any auto parts store. Probably cheaper than having them shipped.

Should be #168 or #194 (essentially the same bulb.)

The coloured incandescents tend to have their colour fade and chip over time, and you start getting white light. However, the problem is LEDs is that they tend to be "directional" - the light comes out the end of the emitter, and I think the widest-angled emitter I've seen is only 90 degrees or so. Since your cluster illumination will depend upon light coming out the sides, you may have trouble.

Of course, spray-bombing the back of the gage bezel (behind the lense) with "spray chrome" should help considerably.

I've got most OEM listings like this up on my website - I'm not sure I've got the lamps page done yet, but it's worth checking. If not, let me know and I'll see why I haven't updated it yet...

i didn't see the bulb info anywhere on the site. The LED's that i got have three bulbs a piece and they are all angled to spread the light evenly.
74_3led_r_wm.jpg

is there any chance that the 74's will work? what kind of work am i looking at to make them fit?
Thanks!

I have the old cluster out of my 98XJ sitting here on my lap. I count 14 teeny bulbs, 3 medium bulbs and 3 larger ones. Not sure of the sizes.
Total holes on the teeny ones are 17 depending on options I guess, three are unused on the idiot cluster.

Back