• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting to advance the timing and swap injectors

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey y'all I've got a 1993 ZJ 4.0 limited with 242 and 42re that hates to idle in gear for longer than a couple minutes before it acts like its going to shut off or flood out. No CEL or leaks, all the issues started once it got over 85 degrees here and have gotten worse. The coil pack and distributor are brand new, the dizzy, cap, plugs and wires are too. I have 19# mustang 5.0 injectors from an ole foxbody and just want to know if anyone has tried this level of insanity yet or if I'm the first. I want to drive this ZJ because I love the ride and how much fun I have wheeling it. But with 12 MPG on little 32 inch all-terrain tires is bad
Thanks all

Far as I know, timing isn't adjustable on the 4.0 - controlled by the ECU.

Not sure about the other issue, are the Ford injectors in the engine now or simply waiting to go in?

Sorry I've not been on here in a while. I have 2 sets of ford injectors that I was thinking about installing...But now have a new issue with the ZJ. It puked the trans cooler or line while on the road headed home from light wheeling it @ 55 MPH. smoke rolled out from behind it and I saw it right away so I pull off to find trans fluid on rear glass and pouring down my front and rear axles on driver side along with some smoke from the exhaust manifold. So I just pushed the over drive switch to turn it off and limped it home 5 miles away. It's been sitting since and haven't looked at it yet due to no time and I have an XJ also to drive. Any ideas what I'm looking at or just putt aftermarket trans cooler directly to the hard lines and top off fluid and go......

I'd just by pass it to a stand alone and go. I hate the tranny being routed to the rad but that's me.

Back