• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget lift what am I missing

cgriff54

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off with yes I searched and have spent countless hours looking at this and other forums.

With that out of the way this is what I have planned in the next week or so weather permitting. I have a set of ZJ coil springs for the front, and S10 leafs to make the pack in the back. I have a set of 2009 Jeep Wrangler take offs front and back. I will be replacing my current tires 30 10.5 15 with a new set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 31 10.5 15's ($520.00 shipped). I know I may need to move the rear break line and drop the transfer case to avoid vibration.

On to my question is there anything that I am forgetting, or should consider replacing while I am taking things apart? 1999 XJ Sport with almost 200k.

Thanks

Next project
Replace all Battery cables
install ZJ 136 amp alternator
replace headlight wiring

You're missing longer rubber brake lines (all three, preferably*) - I just finished this half an hour ago, did a 2" lift. You also should probably get new U-bolts, new lower shackle bolts, and new front leaf eye bolts. The cheapest I've found all those bolts (except for the U-bolts, you'll need longer ones for the bastard pack) is at z&m jeeps (http://stores.zmjeeps.com) - you want 4x part number 3420 2118 (leaf/shackle bolts), 4x part number 1150 2814 (leaf/shackle nuts - get 4 just in case you have to replace front leaf weld nuts), plus four U-bolts w/ washers+nuts from wherever you like buying, I usually use Quadratec.

* Moving the front brake lines is easy, especially if your hard lines are not rusted - if they are rusted replace them. Moving the rear line's body mounting position is going to be harder... I would just get a YJ line to use instead.

EDIT: make sure those ZJ coils are from a V8 - also, did you get spacers? The ZJ V8 lift nets various amounts of lift for different people, get an assortment of spacers and isolators and expect to be testing them out a bit. All of it should be pretty cheap at a junkyard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the break lines, I'll be picking those up when I make my trip to the local spring shop for new U bolts, leaf liners, and shackles. I was planning on leaving the main leaf on the Jeep to avoid messing with the eye bolts. What size tires did you put on and did you have to trim the fenders?

Back