• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear swap

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
at what point do I need a new carrier for gear change, have 3:54's going to 4:10's I believe I need a new carrier right? best palce to buy? John

If it's a Dana 30, then I'm pretty sure you need a new carrier. If you have a Dana 35, then I don't believe you need one. And if it's a Dana 44 or a ChryCo 8.25, then I'm not sure...

I'm sure others will be able to answer more definitively than me....

Andy

8.25 I believe is 3.55- and 3.73+. But I'm not absolutely sure.

My apologies.....

I realize the link I left doesn't have the carrier break for dana 35.....but it does have the info for dana 30.

anyway, the carrier break for dana 35 is 3.55 and up.....

Lighten up, Francis....

OK, so first of all, just to be clear, I was correct by saying that he needs a new carrier for his D30, and he doesn't for his D35.

Second, just because YOU won't hazard a guess for a question that you're not 101% sure of doesn't mean that "Naxja doesn't guess either." There's been more than a few wild guesses posted on this site, and a good deal of them HAVE been wrong. Should the people who are only 96% sure of their answers not post responses at all? That would lead to a pretty boring site without much information being exchanged. And, information is more than just numbers out of a book...

In this case, rnmedic had posed a question, and no one had taken the time to answer him yet, guess or no guess. Posting uppity-sounding responses such as ""pretty sure" doesn't count. when it doubt, don't post, and if you can't help yourself, find a link" just makes you sound arrogant and pompous (whether you are or aren't), and does nothing for making this board a place where people can be encouraged to participate in exchanging information. Especially after the correct information WAS already provided.

I wasn't doubting the accuracy of my answer as you suggest; rather I was leaving the possibility open that there might be a wild card issue based on year, axle model, etc. Gee, now THERE'S something that NEVER happens with Jeeps.......

And by the way, your link DOES provide Dana 35 carrier break info.

That's all I'M trying to say. Diggit?

Show me where the wild-ass guesses are. Show me.

I'd love an opportunity to provide first-hand experiences (If I have them) or links to reputable information (if I can find them) and at the same time, I can remind the folks on these threads you are reffering to, to try to keep the wild-ass guessing for objective and specific questioning off the site.

I'd rather wait for days for a real 100-percent accurate answer, than have someone else quick-reply with an "I think so" or an "I heard"

Its real simple:

The Naxja members pride themselves on providing a public forum that other folks can count on for accurate info. I'd like to believe we've acquired a high amount of credibility in the eyes of other jeepers around the jeep-internet community. I know I can speak for the members that we'd like to keep it this way, and the only way to do that is to limit.......(hear comes the buzz-word)......

SPOBI

(stop putting out bunk info)

Here's the way you can avoid screwing up your fellow jeepers, to make sure they buy the right parts, the best parts, have the best instructions, methods and tools, which ensures they have the most fun.....

On questions such as these that are totally black-and-white "what are the carrier breaks" if you aren't 100-percent sure (first-hand experience is always a great thing)....

DON'T POST.......OR another option is to hit google (wish more people would) and search for the "for sure" answers from reputable sources you are comfortable linking.........

100-percent accurate info is the goal.

Seems logical to me, if NAXJA members have a problem with this, feel free to bust my balls in the members forum.

Andy, there are other forums where bullshit answers run rampant, without listing them, I'm sure you know where they are......that's where wild-ass guess posts belong, not here.

Beezil, even I have posted when I'm less than 100% certain. When that happens, though, I try to state that I'm responding from recollection and not 100% certain.

However, you are correct that we do not encourage the kind of knee jerk, off-the-wall, out-in-left-field responses that characterize other forums. It is not at all helpful when someone who bought their XJ yesterday comes on as an instand expert and starts spouting the current urban legend about _______[insert topic of choice]. That's what we're trying to avoid, Andy.

And by "NAXJA," I believe Beezil was referring to NAXJA members, not to all who lurk on our boards because we do see some of the instant experts. And when we see them posting grossly inaccurate information, usually someone will cry SPOBI

Personally, I thought your response was clearly identified as speculation. It wasn't much help, since you guessed on two of the three possibilities and didn't try to respond to the third, but at least you didn't post wrong info in definitive terms as if you knew for sure what you were talking about.

Beezil isn't usually quite this crusty. Either someone peed in his corn flakes, or someone said something bad about Chicago. Maybe he's upset that Sosa drew an 8-game suspension.

I can't say SPECIFICALLY WHERE to get the gears from...but I will recommend genuine SPICER gears for Dana Spicer 30-35-44-60. I got my 30-44 Spicer 4.56:1 from Rusty's Off Road. I would avoid cheap-offshore made gearsets...They may have a 'lifetime guarantee' but that's on the gears only...not the bearings or labor.

I dunno whether ya plan to set your own gears up or not, but it might be easier/cheaper to find a set of complete axles from a 4 cyl XJ with 4.10 already installed...swap the assemblies instead of paying the $1000 -+ for someone else to regear your existing. Then resell your 3.55 axles to offset some of the cost.

I did just this a few weeks ago...it took me approx one work-day per axle, working steadily. (time included replacing leaf/coil springs, control arms, steering, trackbar, brakes, refreshing front axle UJs) then approx 2 hours sorting out the alignment issues for the steering.

When I regear our other XJ...I 'may' swap in a previously-built D30 or just replace the carrier/gears. :dunno: The rear 44 I'll have to get a new big # carrier and gears, and they will be genuine Spicer and TrueTrac.

Well, Eagle, I agree with you and Beezil regarding "SPOBI", but I fail to see how my response could be considered "bunk" when I was correct in the information that I provided (and I DID think it was right when I posted it, but as you described of your own posting practices, since the info WAS coming from memory, I threw in the caveat that I was not 100% sure.) As for the remainder of the question not being answered, does not answering a multi-part question make for SPOBI?

I can also appreciate Beezil's enthusiasm for making NAXJA a source for good information; I've browsed a few other sites that WERE full of vague, disconnected info. However, I fail to see where he makes the connection between my answer and a "wild-ass guess". As you yourself describe, "SPOBI" is usually shouted only when someone posts "grossly inaccurate information".

Maybe Beezil ISN'T usually this crusty. Maybe someone DID pee in his corn flakes. But this forum, where everyone has the opportunity to evaluate their posts BEFORE they hit the "send" button, I don't think that just because Sosa was caught using a cork bat gives anyone the right to flame someone else's response just because they don't like how they word it.

I like this board, and I like the information available within it. I don't post reponses to questions that I don't know the answer to, and when I do post, it certainly isn't a knee-jerk response. The points I've been trying to make are:

1) A much better example could have been used for Beezil's crusade against SPOBI

2) And, while on this crusade, a little more care should be used NOT to sound like a prick, lest he drive away potentially valuable members/users of this forum. Just because someone asks a question in one particular subject doesn't mean they aren't a wealth of information elsewhere, which would be a shame for this forum to lose.

A far more appropriate and PROFESSIONAL (since Beezil is so worried of how NAXJA appears) sounding follow-up response to mine (and I did encourage others to confirm or correct my information) would have been "Yes Andy, you are correct, and for everyone's future reference, here's a link to a ring gear carrier break chart." My info would have been confirmed, and he would've provided a future reference source for everyone. End of story and debate.

Ok... all sort of extremes in answers, but I'm leaning mores towards Beezil's platform (did I say that :eek: ) . Post accurate info...plain and simple...like this....

http://www.ring-pinion.com/gear/g1199.shtml

This search took me all of 20 seconds to find this info....

Ivan

a little more care should be used NOT to sound like a prick

tell me about it.

there are many times when I post something and re-read it and think "man I sound like a prick"

I didn't think your post was bunk, and you weren't the only one that sounded unsure, and yeah, maybe not the best post to launch off on a spobi crusade.....

damn, Eagle called me crusty.......

spobi!

Hats off to those in search of true knowledge...I'm glad I found this site...I have MUCH to learn...Who says ya can't teach a old Dawg new tricks?? Btw.. the break on a D30 is 3.73

Back