• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Fan Question

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
I read on here that the electric fan on a 2000 xj does not always kick in with the air conditioning like in other years? That it only kicks in when it reaches a certain temperature. Is that correct sounds weird to me. Also anyone know a good source for a new electric fan?

yes, that is correct...for AC, fan only kicks in at certain temp and pressure of freon. For engine cooling, only kicks on if coolant temp is around 220 (+/- 5).

You can disconnect the coolant temp sensor at the front of the engine near the thermostat housing while engine in running and the fan should kick on and stay on...this is the fail safe mode.

yes, that is correct...for AC, fan only kicks in at certain temp and pressure of freon. For engine cooling, only kicks on if coolant temp is around 220 (+/- 5).

Are you sure about that? On every vehicle i've worked on, including many XJ's, the cooling fan has always come on when the compressor kicks on. In addition, the fan on every XJ i've driven has come on when the temp gets to about 212-213

The reason I ask is I looked at the OP's Jeep on Tuesday and I believe his fan is toast because it's not coming on. Unless this is something new that was started in 2000, as his is a 2000 model.

Last edited:
Per the FSM for 2000. Cooling fan does not always come on when compressor kicks in. Clearly, it does on most of the earlier years, but not the 2000. Run wires directly from the battery to the fan if your really want to know. Or test for 12V at the fan plug. If you have 12V and fan doesn't run, it is toast. But you won't have 12V until the relay kicks in at 223F or the pressure builds up to 300PSI in the AC system. (per the FSM)

Well that's about dumb. 223 seems way to hot before the fan kicks on.

Ran wires to the fan just a few minutes ago and got nothing...it's toast.

ive just double checked my 97 and 213 is about when mine kicks in. (DD, didnt come on all winter!) then the fan stops the temp rising any further and kocks it back to the midpoint. Im not too worried about that, but whats dumb is the fact it doesnt stay running for a few minutes after you shut it off, thats the only time my car goes 220+, so im gonna do the upgrade that ive seen on here.

Last edited:
If you are looking at the stock guage to see when the fan turns on, good luck. Its not exactly accurate. I have a digital scan guage and the fan kicks on at exactly 222 degrees, and kicks off at 215 every single time. I have watched my stock guage in relation to the scan guage, and while its fairly good at letting you know whats going on, it is by no means fast enough to keep up with the constant cycling of temperature in the cooling system.

~James

Back