• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why am I chirping?

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 with a 231 tcase and 8.25 rear. I installed some shackles today, when I pulled out of the drive way one of the wheels chirpped thought that was kinda weird drove to the end of the street and made a u turn during the turn both the rear wheels were chirping alternating side to side. I was in 4 wheel drive. thought maybe I had a limited slip that I didn't know about but verified the axle is open. This only happens in 4 wheel drive.

The jeep has damage to the rear cross member, kinda looks like it was almost ripped out. Could the back of the jeep be flexing and that is what is causing this?

Your front and rear tires need to spin different speeds when turning. This is why it says only to use 4 wheel drive on slippery/loose road surfaces. 4 wheel drive should not be used on hard dry pavement with a 231. Tire chirping is not all that can happen, if the tires can not slip while turning, something could break to relieve the pressure.

Your front and rear tires need to spin different speeds when turning. This is why it says only to use 4 wheel drive on slippery/loose road surfaces. 4 wheel drive should not be used on hard dry pavement with a 231. Tire chirping is not all that can happen, if the tires can not slip while turning, something could break to relieve the pressure.

x2, normal and not advised!

Was only going like a mile an hour. My last jeep didn't act this way. Wont do it again though

91 with a 231 t case

Not sure I was driving around an on ramp yesterday doing about 40 and the back tires were screaching like I was drifting. The rear cross member is jacked up, it is almost conpletly ripped from the frame where the bumper mounts are. Plan on fixing that this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

Back