• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 XJ where to begin?

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I'm new to this forum, but have owned numerous Jeeps over the years. My only "real" Jeep/project was an '89 Wrangler that I regretfully sold.

Anyway, I just purchased a '97 Cherokee Sport and would like to start modifying it, but I'm not exactly sure where I should begin? The wrangler set up was a little different in my opinion.

As far as the condition of the Jeep, it is in near perfect condition and was very well maintained so repairs are not my first priority.

I would like to lift the Jeep while not going overboard to start. I'm not looking to get into a SYE or any re-gearing just yet. My main goal is to obtain a more agressive look, better off road capabilities and 31" tires for now.

To start I was looking to buy the Budget Boost and Intake kit from Rusty's since they fall within my current budget. In the spring or summer I plan to add 3" Coils and rear spring packs.

Any advice for this project? I apologize if this question has been asked already.

Thanks much!

rescuejeeper said:
Hello I'm new to this forum, but have owned numerous Jeeps over the years. My only "real" Jeep/project was an '89 Wrangler that I regretfully sold.

Anyway, I just purchased a '97 Cherokee Sport and would like to start modifying it, but I'm not exactly sure where I should begin? The wrangler set up was a little different in my opinion.

As far as the condition of the Jeep, it is in near perfect condition and was very well maintained so repairs are not my first priority.

I would like to lift the Jeep while not going overboard to start. I'm not looking to get into a SYE or any re-gearing just yet. My main goal is to obtain a more agressive look, better off road capabilities and 31" tires for now.

To start I was looking to buy the Budget Boost and Intake kit from Rusty's since they fall within my current budget. In the spring or summer I plan to add 3" Coils and rear spring packs.

Any advice for this project? I apologize if this question has been asked already.

Thanks much!

Being new... Welcome

The first thing you need is good recovery points... and because this picture is worth a 1000 words .... I will let it speak for its self.

NearMiss.jpg

I am not sure that a budget boost is worth all that much. Dont jump in and start spinning wrenches right away... take some time and learn to wheel stock for a while and then plan a build up that matches where you wheel. A stock XJ is a very good rig to wheel in and it will surprize you.

In the 3-4 inch range is a good place to start... This will get you into 31 inch tires and you may or may not need the SYE. Many say the XJ is finiky about the SYE some need it some dont. I think the drivers are more finiky about the drive line vibes. Some tolerate a lot and and others wig out over a small vibe. Normally a TC shim will help the vibe from the 3-4 inch lift.

To save some coin consider the bastard pack leafs from either an S10 or Dakota. Both work and will help in the rear. Every week or so there is a post on here for people asking questions about. it

Jeff

That picture needs to be deleted from the internet forever. I see it every other friggin thread...

That or people need to stop putting it into threads where it doesn't apply...

Back