• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disco axle seal leak

Shea454

NAXJA Forum User
i replaced my u joint on my pass side, now i have fliud leaking out of my axle tube. i have the new seal and i know i need to take off the disco to replace the seal.

how difficult is the job,do i need a unique tool, and anyone have any pics?

Did you drain the diff before pulling the axle?

If not, then what is dripping out of the tube may simply be residual lube from when the axle was out.

Clean up the area with brake cleaner and monitor it and your level for a couple weeks.

no i did not drain the fluid. i changed my u joint saturday, went offroading sunday (3 hr drive round trip) and i did not notice a puddle untill yesterday.

i was thinking the same thing about having residual fluid in the tube, but i dont know. every time i drive and park in a spot, fluid will come out.

Checked your diff fluid level?

Clean the area with brake cleaner. Take some sheets of white paper with you and drive it enough to warm up good, then park and put the paper under the axle tube. Wait fifteen minutes ( or one beer), then check the paper. Then repeat the drive, new sheet of paper and wait fifteen minutes--see if the dripping is becoming less.

Back