• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i never thought i would miss W

Bush was very good at standing by his principles no matter what.
I may not have agreed with all of his principles, but at least he had them.
Now we have Carter pt.II...

Nick

Kim Jong Il is an attention whore.

We just need to stop giving him attention and he'll STFU

I bet if he got a round in the head he'd STFU as well... :dunno:

In the mean time, missle defense systems are in place in Hawaii and all will be well. I don't suppose it is beyond thought that they will attempt a fly-over.

Nuke 'em.

In the mean time, missle defense systems are in place in Hawaii and all will be well. I don't suppose it is beyond thought that they will attempt a fly-over.

Nuke 'em.

They don't have a chance in hell of getting close enough to hit anything with that flyover. I bet they don't get within 300mi of anything we care about getting bombed.

I estimate if they get within 500 miles, let alone a flyover, they will have succeded their goals.

No more rice!

Remember last year sometime a "defunct" US satelitte was spiraling towards earth?

One Aegis Cruiser, one missle, no more satelitte. No concern here. The USN is on watch.

Remember last year sometime a "defunct" US satelitte was spiraling towards earth?

One Aegis Cruiser, one missle, no more satelitte. No concern here. The USN is on watch.

True - but the USN still answers to NCA, and I'm not terribly sanguine about Barry & co. ...

I've plenty of faith in the men and women in uniform - they do their jobs well, when they're allowed to!

True - but the USN still answers to NCA, and I'm not terribly sanguine about Barry & co. ...

I've plenty of faith in the men and women in uniform - they do their jobs well, when they're allowed to!

There is not a ships captain that would ignore an ICBM, if he did the crew would hang him from the yardarm.

Thought 1: It has a 4000 mile tested range as equipped. What if he decides to start shaving weight and bastardizing like Saddam did with the SCUDS to increase their range? Sure, they will probably fail. But What does he have to lose from trying if he already cannot hit us?

Thought 2: What makes you think the missile is only good for 4000nm? The answer being the test results, right? What if they shaved the test to keep some of the capabilities secret? I would if it was me.

Thought 1: It has a 4000 mile tested range as equipped. What if he decides to start shaving weight and bastardizing like Saddam did with the SCUDS to increase their range? Sure, they will probably fail. But What does he have to lose from trying if he already cannot hit us?

Thought 2: What makes you think the missile is only good for 4000nm? The answer being the test results, right? What if they shaved the test to keep some of the capabilities secret? I would if it was me.

Both thoughts are valid, although I'd put more stock in #2 than in #1. Probably because that's the way I'd operate as well (the public tests would be something fairly well short of what the thing could really do, and I'd find a way to test it pushed right out to the wall without letting everyone know about it...)

It's often very useful to be underestimated.

Of course, the main problem is that Jong Il has been treated like a petulant child - "OK, knock it off and we'll help you." The first time might have been useful, but doing it again merely sets a precedent. As a result, it's been happening ever since.

First time - OK, we'll help out. Second time? "Knock it off, or we'll whack you from space. Or send in a team. Or snipe you with the New Jersey. Something - but you'll be dead in a week, and you probably won't see it coming. So cut it out you arse-hair flossing little b****."

I'm not terribly sanguine about Barry & co. ...
Well, I have no proof here...but someone had to authorize those three shots off the African coast...and the deployment of the shooters.

x2

Tom, someone may have authorised those shots (I'm fairly sure of it myself,) but I'm not sure it would have been NCA.

As I recall, the Captain of a ship at sea is pretty much the last of the unlimited monarchs - any orders he gives to his crew he's got to answer for, not them. He's going to be the "man on the spot" for any decisions that need to be made, and he'll be the one that answers for them anyhow.

I'm more inclined to think the Captain set the RoEs for the SEALs to follow, and the SEAL that took the shots (damned good job, by the by!) was following the RoEs as established previously.

The Captain won't be held accountable, simply because it would be politically unsound to allow that to happen and would hurt the approval ratings of the Obama administration (nevermind the factoid that the SEAL was correct to take the shot. As far as I'm concerned, pirates at sea should be an endangered species with free tags issued and an unlimited bag, but I'm just cranky that way. I don't view them any different from terrorists - and I still want to know why we haven't turned SEAL Team SIX and SFOD-Delta loose on them worldwide yet...)

One thing to remember, the missile in question has a 4000 mile range...HI is 4500 miles from NK.

Nick

The Taepodong-2 is estimated to be able to reach 4500 when its configured as a 3-stage system.

Regardless if that POS could make it to stage 3, the CEP of the thing is probably huge.
CEP I'm not smart enough to explain it, but its some complicated way of figuring out where a ballistic missile will hit.

I bet we would shoot that POS down just to show that midget that we can. Aegis and THAAD are all over it.

^^

For everyone else, "CEP" means "Circular Error Probable." It ranges from zero (dead-on balls hit) to a derived numeric value - no, I don't know the formula either.

A missile with a CEP of 20 miles simply means that, at whatever range the missile is fired from, it will strike anywhere from zero point zero whatever (dead hit) to up to twenty miles from point of aim (given that this is often applied to nuclear-tipped ICMBs, a CEP of 20 miles with a 500-megatonne warhead really doesn't mean much.)

When there is a spotter on the ground (usually used for LASER-guided conventional munitions, especially when the target is "painted" on the ground,) CEP is verified by the spotter when the munition strikes. An ideal BDA targeting phrase would be "Zero CEP with high-order secondaries" - meaning that the bomb/missile struck right where the dot was (or close enough to make no odds) and there was a distinct pulse from the sensitive low-explosive primer touching off the relatively insensitive high-explosive payload (that's what the "high-order secondaries" are.)

Primary - when the primer goes off.
Secondary - when the primer sets off the payload
Tertiary - when the payload sets off munitions already in place, whether it was known (hitting an ammo dump) or not (hitting an ammo dump that looked like something else.)

my question is this..

If they make a move... such as send somethin our way. after we shoot it down.. what's next?

do we send every last ounce of fury we have that way? or do we pussy-foot around and let them do it again?

You are way to smart.

The link I posted has the formula, it is from wiki, but its probably pretty close. And before I get bashed for posting a wiki link, some of their stuff is actually pretty good.

my question is this..

If they make a move... such as send somethin our way. after we shoot it down.. what's next?

do we send every last ounce of fury we have that way? or do we pussy-foot around and let them do it again?

As far as I'm concerned, the first shot would take down whatever they flip over this way.

The second should be aimed right for downtown Pyongyang, and (hopefully) right down Kim Jong Il's throat.

Problem solved.

Back