• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Climate Tax?

AL BUNDY

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Don't Let Congress Sneak Through a $2 Trillion Climate Tax![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Dear john,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
congress.gif
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Surprise! After telling everyone they'd wait until after the 4th of July to vote on a so-called "cap-and-trade" energy tax, leaders in Congress took action in the dark of night Monday to bring it up for a vote this week! Liberals in the House of Representatives are trying to sneak through with little debate the largest tax hike in the history of the world: over $2 trillion.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]By effectively placing a tax on carbon dioxide, this bill would raise costs on anyone and anything that uses energy. This climate tax is not the way to help us turn the corner on today's difficult economy, and pushing through a 1,200 page bill that nobody has read is not the transparency and honesty we were promised.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Can your family afford another $4,600 in energy costs? If not, there's only one way that we can stop this disaster from becoming law: burning up phone lines and stuffing email boxes in Congress with messages of opposition!

I just got this e-mailed to me.
[/FONT]

I sent a letter to my representative voicing my opposition to this bill. Cap and trade is just another attempt to make billions for a select few on the backs of Americans.

Is there a link to the original?

Geez - 1200 pages. Another bill that no-one else has read, no-one else will read, and will do a lot of things except what was intended in the first place (think: "Economic Recovery Stimulus.")

I don't suppose it would have occurred to the government that the best thing to stimulate the economy would have been a tax holiday? Nope - didn't think so.

Is there a link to the original?

Geez - 1200 pages. Another bill that no-one else has read, no-one else will read, and will do a lot of things except what was intended in the first place (think: "Economic Recovery Stimulus.")

I don't suppose it would have occurred to the government that the best thing to stimulate the economy would have been a tax holiday? Nope - didn't think so.

The cigar company, hava-tampa in Tampa Fl is closing, FL did a 30% tax on cigars which is niche market, been in business since 1902, they are shutting down, laying off 500 employees and shifting production to the PR plant. While the 500 sound small beans it comes out to over 2000 counting the support and suppliers for the labels, boxes, wrappers, etc. Everytime the govt adds a tax a company closes and leaves. Ireland is going great guns, they ELIMINATED corporate taxes and can't keep up with the influx of new companies moving in. America's days are over now that we have all the slow learners in DC running things, makes me think it's intentional.

The cigar company, hava-tampa in Tampa Fl is closing, FL did a 30% tax on cigars which is niche market, been in business since 1902, they are shutting down, laying off 500 employees and shifting production to the PR plant. While the 500 sound small beans it comes out to over 2000 counting the support and suppliers for the labels, boxes, wrappers, etc. Everytime the govt adds a tax a company closes and leaves. Ireland is going great guns, they ELIMINATED corporate taxes and can't keep up with the influx of new companies moving in. America's days are over now that we have all the slow learners in DC running things, makes me think it's intentional.

As I've said before - if you want to "stimulate" the economy, declare a tax holiday.

Taxing businesses out of the country is going to make things worse, not better. Even if it's an unpopular business (like tobacconists,) when the company shifts itself overseas, it takes a great deal of tax revenue with it.

PR is still "domestic" (according to the Postal People, anyhow,) so it seems this is going to affect Florida more than the US. But, it's emblematic of the rest of the country, and what's going on.

Why do you think so many companies are incorprated in Delaware?

Anybody remember the luxury tax on personal aircraft, boats and expensive cars back in the early 90s? Killed the American yacht building industry. It was a tiny tax, only 10%. Turns out not only were they rich bast**ds buying those boats, they were chintzy rich bas***ds to boot.

Anybody remember the luxury tax on personal aircraft, boats and expensive cars back in the early 90s? Killed the American yacht building industry. It was a tiny tax, only 10%. Turns out not only were they rich bast**ds buying those boats, they were chintzy rich bas***ds to boot.

Rich people don't get rich by being generous. People with money are also notoriously bad tippers...

Less taxes will create more spending, investing, innovation, freedom, prosperty.......which will also make the government smaller by default and give them less control of out lives.

Anyone else see why they.....and when I say THEY, I mean 95% of our elected officials, including Pres Obama.......want to keep raising taxes thru special bailout plans, stimulus programs, Cap and Trade, Census program.....it just goes on and on.

It's time to stop......NOW! :soapbox:

I agree with 5-90 & XJEEPER. Lowering taxes would provide real stimulus to the economy.

Thanks, and yah.

Consider that every dollar spent in taxation is a dollar not spent on something that has a tangible value. Yah, taxation is (to some degree) necessary to provide things for the public good (public safety, military, and the like,) but tax money is money otherwise wasted, and every time they talk about increasing the tax bite, they're really talking about devaluing the dollar.

(Econ majors hated talking to me...)

Track the increase in taxation in America against the relative value of the dollar and the decline of the single-income family. The two curves are very nearly exact opposites. And to think we used to be the most prosperous nation on the face of this rock - before all of the taxes hit.

well, the House passed it. WTF?? Seriously, WTFF? Wasn't our country founded because of stupid stunts like this? The tea tax started one revolution, it's high time for another! All more taxes will do is cause more companies to either close or cut jobs and put more families in bankruptcy.

Edit: and WTF is that freak Michael Jackson the main news article on CNN.com? You have to go 12 lines down to find even a link to the article on the tax bill.

And get this...

Several moderate and conservative Democrats indicated that they received heavy constituent pressure in the final hours to buck their party leadership and vote against the bill.

"I can't begin to tell you how many calls we've received," said Rep. Charles Gonzalez, D-Texas. "And it's disproportionately vote 'no.'"

Gonzalez, who voted "yes," believes special interest groups generated many of the calls on both sides, including the late surge of negative feedback.
The people he is supposed to be representing told him to vote against it. But what did he do? He voted for it!

Last edited:
A 1000 page bill with a 300 page amendment added this morning! Those speed readers know what they were doing, right?

219-212, with eight Republicans voting for.

The Democratic majority brought it up, but about 50 dems voted nay. We have these brave souls to thank for the actual passage of the bill:
Rep. Mary Bono Mack [R, CA-45]
Rep. Michael Castle [R, DE-0]
Rep. Mark Kirk [R, IL-10]
Rep. Leonard Lance [R, NJ-7]
Rep. Frank LoBiondo [R-NJ-2]
Rep. John McHugh [R, NY-23]
Rep. Dave Reichert [R, WA-8]
Rep. Christopher Smith [R, NJ-4]

Go team!

Now we know why MJ was such a big thing, diverted attention, he picked a good time to kick off. No media bias on this was there, 'lets just ignore the vital stuff and push a pedophile death'.

I swear Obama strangled MJ himself

most of the news websites don't even mention the tax portion of the bill. CNNMoney does, though. http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/26/news/economy/cap_and_trade/

Please, contact your senators and tell them to shut this down!

Already done. I particularly mentioned people with electrical life-support devices - like my mother-in-law. We have to run her oxygen concentrator, nebuliser, BiPAP machine, aircon, &c. &c.

She can't work overtime to make any more money - it's called a "fixed income" for a reason.

While I honestly don't think it would do much good (after all, both of my Senators are Statist Democrats,) at least my objection was logged (and, clear, concise, and short. Hah!:laugh3::laugh3:)

We should no more blame the eight Republicans than we can anyone else who voted for HR 2454. Progressives reside in both parties. Some politicians and much of the media want to keep partisan politics alive, because it becomes a diversion from the bigger picture. We need to stop thinking in terms of party lines and, instead, look at the merits of the bills and whether or not they line up with the principles of our country's foundation.

We should no more blame the eight Republicans than we can anyone else who voted for HR 2454. Progressives reside in both parties. Some politicians and much of the media want to keep partisan politics alive, because it becomes a diversion from the bigger picture. We need to stop thinking in terms of party lines and, instead, look at the merits of the bills and whether or not they line up with the principles of our country's foundation.

One thing I'd set as a reg were I POTUS - any bill I can't read in its entirety within thirty minutes will be vetoed in toto and sent back for a rewrite. That gives you 35-40 pages of typing.

More than that, it gets vetoed out of hand and sent back for a rewrite.

Less than that, and I do recall the "line-item veto" and intend to use it liberally...

Back