• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping Noise From Axle

nmcommando

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I have a lifted xj with 31" tires and it was recently started making a popping noise when I turn the tires completely one direction or the other. It had gotten worse and got to where it would pop even if the wheels completely turned. So I thought it might be something to do with the axle u-joints. I replaced the joints, a bad hub, brakes and rotors. Now the noise is gone for the most part, but the noise still occurs every now and then and everytime when I completely turn the wheel and am moving.

Thanks for any help.

X2 on the lower control arm. When I had 31x10.5's on stock rims with a 3" lift, had to adjust the steering stop bolt (added washer) to keep from rubbing. Had to add another washer when I went to 33x10.5's.

The clue here is noise when turned all the way AND when moving. The noise is tire lugs rubbing on the LCA.

Yea it drives in 4wd but makes an even worse noise but im not sure if the noise is still there in 4wd cause i just got my driveshaft done and haven't put it back on.

Thanks for all the help ill check the control arm and try to fix it. But if anyone has any pictures on what you did to fix this it would be nice to see them thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help ill check the control arm and try to fix it

I hope you meant track bar!! lol. I had the same thing with mine and i ended up finally adding some thread locker to the bolts at both ends and the noise went away.

Check if there is any slop in the pinion yoke. I had a popping noise from my front d30 which started only in 4wd (thought it was a u-joint) but then happened even in 2wd. Took the front driveshaft off and it stopped for the most part but noticed major play in the pinion gear. Havent torn it down yet to see if the r/p are ruined but the pinion bearing(s) are definitely done.

I hope you meant track bar!! lol
Yea that is what i meant but somebody said control arm so i was just going to check it to even though i had no idea why it would be that. Just going to get under there and mess around with it till i get it. going to check the stuff that has been mentioned.

I get the same popping/clanking noise sometimes when doing full lock turns.

It did this when I was on 3" with stock control arms, steering, and tracbar and it still does it now at 7" with new steering, adjustable HD tracbar, adjustable control arms, and drop brackets.

Not sure what it is as everything is tight and not wallowed out.

Also did it on the original balljoints and since then have put new Moog balljoints in. New hubs too.

Ok so i went into the tire place today that does lifts and they said the my balljoints and trac bar need work. Now i understand that the balljoints will be replaced. But what work are they going to do on the trac bar because they want to charge me $550 to do this and i would much rather take my time and do it for less. But i dont know what they are planning on doing to my trac bar any help would be appreciated.

Back