• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

priming axles??

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a new to me set of axles this weekend and am going to be giving them a fresh coat of paint. i cleaned them up pretty good with a wire brush and flap disk on my grinder but its not perfect.

my question is what is a good brand/ type of primer that will stick to them even though there are a couple spots that are a little dirty still.

i know i have read about POR-15 and i was wondering if that would work good and where i could buy some. im really looking for something that i can just run down to the local store and get.

thanks

i bought a new to me set of axles this weekend and am going to be giving them a fresh coat of paint. i cleaned them up pretty good with a wire brush and flap disk on my grinder but its not perfect.

my question is what is a good brand/ type of primer that will stick to them even though there are a couple spots that are a little dirty still.

i know i have read about POR-15 and i was wondering if that would work good and where i could buy some. im really looking for something that i can just run down to the local store and get.

thanks

Self etching primer.

etching primer works well...

good clean with some brake cleaner and rustoleum works great too...

trail rig? if so, why waste time/money on something that will get scratched to hell anyways?

As long as it isn't oily, POR15 is about as tough as it gets. No need to prime.

I have been using a new paint from a company called Top Secret Coatings. It is a single part epoxy that is available in about a hundred colors and from what I can tell is quite close to POR15 but with better UV protection.

I used POR-15 on my rear axle....have yet to tackle the front. I have to say it works VERY WELL. Very tough and resists scratches and gouges....almost like metal STAIN. Be sure to properly prep the surface. I scuffed up the old axle best I could then acetoned it, then used metal ready and then 2 coats of POR with a couple top coats of rusto. Been on over 3 years and still looks new, especially after brutal salt winters in michigan. if you apply over newer paint then you HAVE to use etching primer or use POR's etching primer since its made for their paint.

If you're going to spend the money on POR-15, you might as well get something else. There are MUCH better options than a low-solid, moisture-cure urethane...

i.e. - SPI's epoxy primer, and some cheapo single stage paint. Would hold up against anyting.

But like said above, if it's a trail rig, don't bother. Throw some rutoleum on, and call it a day.

Back