• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AIR Conditioning blowing HOT AIR. help!

GrooGruxKing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey XJ’ers,

I have a problem with my Air Conditioning

Here’s my story:
I realized AC didn’t work when I bought my XJ.
Got the Fryon charged. That fixed it temporarily. Blowing Cold Air for a very short time. $70.00 later. It stopped blowing cold air. Next place said, Aluminum tubing down the firewall. Tested. Leaking fryon thru ducting. Replaced. Air conditioning working. $272 dollars. Then 5 miles away. Stopped working. Bump in road, working. Smelling bad odor. Burning. I went to a Jeep dealer. Bad compressor. I went to Pep boys. Put a new compressor in. bad smell again. BAD Compressor. Have another Compressor. Ordered two of them. Drove away with it working and blowing Very cold air so I shut it off. When I was driving the lights went off in the XJ and had to jump start the XJ.

$1200 dollars, 2 compressors, aluminum ducting, a fryon charge later… NO A/C.

After the A/C stopped working, my fog lights stopped working. My windows on the passanger and backseats don’t work. Is there any correlation between these and the A/C?

Are there technical service bulletins (TSB’s) on the 2000 Jeep Cherokee A/C system?

What are some possible problems with my XJ? Do you think it’s electrical?

Thanks for any advice!

Check fuses? I am not sure if there is a relay for the AC but if there is check that too.

Did you hook up the jumpers right? Could have blown some fuses that way.

I doubt this will work seeing as you have a brand new compressor, but who knows if they adjusted it at the factory or not...

Check to see if your AC fan is kicking in... if its kicking in and the pump isn't engaging, then try the following:
Remove the center nut from the AC clutch. The clutch should be on splines and should wiggle off. Be careful not to lose any of the shims/washers that are behind it. Try removing one washer then re-installing the clutch as this will make the gap closer between the magnets in the clutch then test the A/C again.

Thats at least all it took to get my A/C working again... Pretty simple and a quick test. Like I said tho, make sure your A/C fan is kicking in, as thats a sign that its trying to engage the pump but can't. If the fan isn't engaging then there's a possibility that your low pressure switch may be reading low pressure in the system which may be a leak somewhere....

Hope it helps!

before you tear anything apart, verify you are getting 12V to the clutch coil (plug in AC compressor) when the AC is on.

-12V and no engagement would indicate poor ground for circuit or bad coil.

-lack of 12V would indicate either a low charge (low side cut out switch interrupting circuit) or failure of the control circuit (switch, fuse, relay) to send power to the controlled side of the system ( coil, cutout switch, terminals 87 & 30 on relay)

If all that other stuff stopped working as well I would put my money on an electrical problem. Fuse, circuit breaker, relay etc.

I doubt this will work seeing as you have a brand new compressor, but who knows if they adjusted it at the factory or not...

Check to see if your AC fan is kicking in... if its kicking in and the pump isn't engaging, then try the following:
Remove the center nut from the AC clutch. The clutch should be on splines and should wiggle off. Be careful not to lose any of the shims/washers that are behind it. Try removing one washer then re-installing the clutch as this will make the gap closer between the magnets in the clutch then test the A/C again.

Thats at least all it took to get my A/C working again... Pretty simple and a quick test. Like I said tho, make sure your A/C fan is kicking in, as thats a sign that its trying to engage the pump but can't. If the fan isn't engaging then there's a possibility that your low pressure switch may be reading low pressure in the system which may be a leak somewhere....

Hope it helps!

I read on here that on 2000 xj's the fan doesn't always kick in with the air conditioning. Is that true does anyone know?

First thing to determine is whether the clutch on the compressor is activating. When you turn the AC switch on, you should hear clicking at the compressor and the compressor shaft should turn. If it clicks but doesn't turn, it is the clutch gap adjustment. If it doesn't even click, try jumping the low pressure switch on the accumulator. If your freon leaked out again, that switch could prevent the compressor from starting. You say your evaporator looked like new. I seriously doubt that you can see the evaporator without taking the dash apart and pulling our the HVAC housing. XJ's are known for having the evaporators leak due to corrosion. Using a freon detector at the interior vents or looking for dye dripping from the HVAC drain at the firewall are the usual way to find this.

Back