• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me get a stiffy!

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
I knew that would make you look, you sickos. :laugh3:

So I got my first XJ recently. I knew a unibody would flex a bit...but dang, this thing is like a wet noodle. Every pavement undulation creates squeaks, creaks, and pops in the dash, door seals, and lift gate. It's crazy. And this XJ has no off-road history....it was only a mall crawler.

So, I want to stiffen it up. I know about the unibody rail reinfocements that are available and they seem like a good idea, although I don't know how much real-world difference they make. So in the interest of stiffening this thing up, what should I consider? There are bolt-on steering braces for the front end to help eliminate flex...do they work? There are the the unibody rail pieces and a few others...significant differences in them?

Basically, what kind of basic stiffening components would I need to get rid of the wet-noodle feel, and help eliminate stress points and the possibility of cracking/damage, without a bunch of extra weight, effort, or high cost? What's worked for you?

Thanks fellas!

Rail reinforcements with exo cage welding to it. you will be able to roll down a mountain. i dont suggest it though and the exo cage would look sick as crap.

Roll cage seems to be the agreed upon best stiffening. I have a huge front bumper and I made a steering box brace, all this stiffened it up a bit, but up above the "frame" is probably what you want to stiffen.

Back