• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ air bag sensor location

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering where the air bag sensor was located? The reason why I am asking is because when I was installing a set of tow hooks and took the front bumper off, I noticed that there was a wire hanging free with a clip on the end. I do not have a pic, but it was a braided wire with a decent sized female clip and there was nothing inside the bumper for it to clip too. The wire was fed through the oval openings on the front end directly behind the front bumper. My steering wheel has "SRS Airbag" on it and the same label is also above my glove box . Years back when it was was new, there is a receipt from a dealer saying that they replaced the airbag control module under a factory recall.

Do you have the overhead console? It could be the wiring for the temp sensor display or the connection for factory fog lights if your XJ came so equipped. My 98 has both the fog lights and the overhead console and has similar wiring to what you're describing in that location.....although everything is connected.

I don't have the overhead console or factory fog lights. I was thinking that that wire could be for the lights but I am still unsure. Where is the airbag module located?

if the recall was done it is under the console between the front seats
I was told the recall was due to corrosion issues from originally being on the floor under the drivers seat. On my 97, you can even see the hole in the carpet and the mounting bracket where it had been mounted From the factory.

Does anyone have any pics of where under the console it was mounted?

My 97 has the open recall, and after swapping the interior in it, I didn't see anywhere in the console that the module would fit.

The airbag module is at the rear of the center console, bolted to the floor, between the back wall of the console insert and the back wall of the console. I believe the insert should come out, and you can see it behind and below where the insert was removed from. The wires you're referring to may in fact be for factory fogs, as I believe there was only one wiring harness used, and the wires for options not installed are just nearby, unused. There may also be the temp sensor wire in the front, although on my older models ('92 and '96), the plug for this wire was in the vicinity of the battery, and the sensor itself has a long lead from where it mounts up to near the battery and main power block.

IMG_0463_800x600.jpg

Here's a blury pics of my interior without the console, seats, or the vent tube. The vent runs above that bracket behind the e brake and the bin screws to the two tabs that stick up. So the module goes below the bracket?

That's where I've seen them. I'm putting my '92 back together, and I've been frequenting boneyards looking to put in a later console. What I've found is that most of them are broken, having been pulled up from the rear. I did see a couple with the modules in place, and figured that's what someone was after. Is your carpet marked or depressed where one might have been? Are there wires under the carpet near this area? To the best of my knowledge, that is where it should be, unless different years had them in different places.

Thanks for the help, I had a feeling that the wires were for factory options but I was not sure about that. Since I plan on re-doing my interior here soon, I am glad that I now know there the module is at.

Back