• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No cost hood vents...W/a little How to...

DownhomeMoto

NAXJA Forum User
Had some free time the other day and thought I would install some hood vents in the XJ. Had these laying around so in they went. Enjoy...
jeep257.jpg

Once I had the right placement, I drilled the conners and used my sabor saw to cut out the holes.
jeep258.jpg

Prefit...Not bad...
jeep261.jpg

I thought the looked better Black...
jeep269.jpg

You can run them Open...
jeep270.jpg

Or Closed...
jeep271.jpg

Here is an underside view...
jeep282.jpg

And last the finish product...
jeep267.jpg

Not bad for Free and about an hour and a half of my time. Thanks for looking...DH

i want to do the same thing to mine so that i can close them during the crappy wisconsin winters

looks good

If you would have told me you used house vents on your hood, I would have normally LOL'd. BUT they actually LOOK pretty darn good. I just installed Z34 vents last weekend, its cool to watch the heat roll out of them at stop lights! Nice budget mod for sure.

~James

I've seen the like before, and that install doesn't look bad.

The newer XJs didn't come with all that matting under the hood, so you could delete that and get rid of a potential problem with soaked matting under the hood.

-Ron

why?
ive never had any overheating issues in any of the cherokees that ive had...guess i couldda been lucky...ha

Serious. I creep for hours on end in 100 degree weather and I don't need vents. Once at higher altitude I had a bit of vapor lock but after wrapping the fuel rail, fue injectors, and fuel line in heat reflective tape, I haven't had a reoccurance. Also, I'm absolutely amazed at the ghetto mods that go congradulated around here. It's cool that people are kind, but damn.

Ghetto or not I think he did a nice job of using what he had around. I think he should be congratulated. Its that kind of thinking that finds better ways to do things.

Nice Post and Picture :). What size vents did you use?

I had thought of doing this awhile back and now I think I will do them as well after seeing them on your XJ :).

Ghetto maybe, but in these times where money is tight we all have to find ways to do things cheaper. I think that this looks good, but now tape off the raised part of the hood and flat black it. it will look much better

7-1.jpg

Thanks for all the Ya's and even the Na's.

I don't really care if anyone thinks there getto or not, they get the job done, look cool (atlest to me) and make a great conversation starter. My build mind set is this... make it work, look good (or atlest OK) and spend as little as possable. You see the less I spend and make things work then the more Gas money I have. Or money to spend on other "Big Ticket" things.

Last summer when it was 95 or better I would get a little hotter then I would like to see. It was ok moving but after getting off the freeway or a lot of stop and go driving my temps would get up just above 210. Besides If I can lower the under hood temp then that should help with the live of everything underthere. Remember HEAT KILLS!!!!

Thanks agian... Oh and the vents are 6x9

That is about as good as one could possibly expect household heating duct vents to look. Seriously, I expected it to look like ass.

Back