• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chewed up wires

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I hadn’t driven the Jeep for 5-6 weeks. I opened the hood a few days ago to find that some critter got in there and chewed up a bunch of wires and the hood’s liner. It was a mess in there and the whole engine bay was covered with black dust from the chewed up hood liner.

What’s the best way to repair these wires?

Pic 1
ekl1ma.jpg

Pic 2
v4wleb.jpg

Pic 3
2aadllc.jpg

Pic 4
15waved.jpg

Pic 5
eg2ryg.jpg

Pic 6
2n0zdd.jpg

1. Find said critter and shove a pencil in its butt and make a crittersicle out of it

2. Cut out the bad section of wire and replace with new piece of wire by either soldering in new pieces and using heat shrink to cover exposed areas or you can use butt cnnectors, but I prefer to solder things for better connections and it looks cleaner when completed rather then a bundle of butt connectors w/ tape around them. If your real handy, you might be able to get the clips in the harness undone and replace the entire chewed up wire, but that could be a major project in its own. These are just a few ways to tackle it....

The smaller places could just get a wrap of rubber fusing tape around them. It's in the electrical section at the parts house, usually near the liquid tape insulation - something else you can use.

The bigger damaged section need to be spliced in. Waterproof crimp connectors will work fine, and a new piece of plastic conduit will cover it all up.

You can pull the insulation out and toss it, or replace it - mine's been gone for years without any adverse affects.

Back