• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still trying to deal with some getting hot issues.

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
specs: 89 xj, fresh 4.0,oem jeep thermostat, new fanclutch, aux fan wired to run , new 2 row rad (alum with plastic tanks), new waterpump, new surge tank,16,000lb trans cooler,Hood shimmed up 1-1/4 ". Jeep gets hot on steep pulls, whether steep fsr's or pulling the dirtbikes behind on a trailer up a hill. Gets just below the red on the gauge. Idling on a hot days is fine, crawling anywhere is fine. I dont get it. Anyone make a duel electric conversion? Maybe something bolt in? Also I am aware of the taurus setup. Thanks, help keep my jeep cooler!

specs: 89 xj, fresh 4.0,oem jeep thermostat, new fanclutch, aux fan wired to run , new 2 row rad (alum with plastic tanks), new waterpump, new surge tank,16,000lb trans cooler,Hood shimmed up 1-1/4 ". Jeep gets hot on steep pulls, whether steep fsr's or pulling the dirtbikes behind on a trailer up a hill. Gets just below the red on the gauge. Idling on a hot days is fine, crawling anywhere is fine. I dont get it. Anyone make a duel electric conversion? Maybe something bolt in? Also I am aware of the taurus setup. Thanks, help keep my jeep cooler!

Turn on the heater for a minute or two.

Stardard fan clutch or upgrade to ZJ HD fan clutch?

Standard: Turns fan 60-70% of shaft speed when engaged.

Heavy-Duty: Turns fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling.

NAPA #272310, ZJ HD fan clutch, direct fit replacement, $44. That is about the best dollar-for-dollar cooling system upgrade.

Stardard fan clutch or upgrade to ZJ HD fan clutch?

Standard: Turns fan 60-70% of shaft speed when engaged.

Heavy-Duty: Turns fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling.

NAPA #272310, ZJ HD fan clutch, direct fit replacement, $44. That is about the best dollar-for-dollar cooling system upgrade.

Just went onto NAPA online and there are two fan clutches. One says "max-cooling severe duty" while the part number you gave is "non-max cooling heavy duty". Which one is better? The non-max cooling one has a 7" diameter while the max cooling has a 6.45" diameter. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=5&SubCatId=10

Before you start throwing more money at it, are you ABSOLUTELY certain that it's been burped properly? After changing my rad, it took a few tries to get rid of the seemingly random temp spikes.

I see the difference in the two clutches now, some how I missed it in the other thread, probably because it is not a Renix fan clutch and I used the wrong search, but how do you know it turns faster than the regular XJ clutch?

Just went onto NAPA online and there are two fan clutches. One says "max-cooling severe duty" while the part number you gave is "non-max cooling heavy duty". Which one is better? The non-max cooling one has a 7" diameter while the max cooling has a 6.45" diameter. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=5&SubCatId=10

The MAX Cool fan clutch will not fit an XJ.

K thanks. I'll go with the non-max then. My fan clutch is original and pretty shot. Just replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and flushed the cooling system on my 2000 not long ago. Electric fan kicks on when it should. Everything ran nice until these hot summer days set in, and now the temp climbs a bit at idle. Not so it overheats but its definately noticeable. Also tested the fan for resistance after the engine heat soaked for a bit and there isnt much at all. Figured if i'm gonna replace it may as well upgrade :D

Before you start throwing more money at it, are you ABSOLUTELY certain that it's been burped properly? After changing my rad, it took a few tries to get rid of the seemingly random temp spikes.

Yeah its fully burped, I have a standard fan clutch, I'll give the hd one a whirlas well as that water sparay and let you all know how it worked for me. And the trans cooler is in front of the a/c condendor, which is in front of the rad.

Back