• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

annoying engine chirp

tj rider

NAXJA Forum User
ok. so my wifes jeep seems to be on here every week. the other day i noticed an annyoying chirp i thought was coming from the valve cover. but when i take off the oil cap, it doesnt get louder. sometimes it fades away, but its always there. kinda sounds like it coming from the throttle body or fuel rail. that general area. any thoughts on what this nuisance could be. performance doesnt seem affected.​

Idler pulley, other accesory, harmonic balancer hitting timing chain cover. You could take a piece PVC pipe, like 24", and put it to your ear to try to determine the origin of the chirp, by aiming it to different areas. Be careful that the fan or whatever does not drive the pipe into your head.

If it's not a front end accessory, there isn't much that I can think of that you could do. My guess is that it is valve lifter noise, although that is usually described a chatter rather than chirping. Maybe a vacuum leak. Could it be the little valve that clicks all the time to purge the charcoal cannister?

Back