• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan plug - any trick to it?

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ, and the auxiliary electric fan won't kick on when the AC is at max. I want to check the fan to see if it's the motor or the sensor. However, I can't disconnect the #$%@%#$% plug. It has a little red thing on it that you have to slide to the side, and it looks like when you do that, it should come right out. At first I tried it when the engine was hot, and again this A.M. when it was cold, thinking that mayby I couldn't get it unplugged the first time because he heat of the engine swelled the plastic. It still won't budge. Any trick to this that I'm missing? This should be a 2 second job.
Thanks

wolverine 00 xj said:
I have a 2000 XJ, and the auxiliary electric fan won't kick on when the AC is at max. I want to check the fan to see if it's the motor or the sensor. However, I can't disconnect the #$%@%#$% plug. It has a little red thing on it that you have to slide to the side, and it looks like when you do that, it should come right out. At first I tried it when the engine was hot, and again this A.M. when it was cold, thinking that mayby I couldn't get it unplugged the first time because he heat of the engine swelled the plastic. It still won't budge. Any trick to this that I'm missing? This should be a 2 second job.
Thanks
Should be a little tab that needs to have the catch lifted over it,A small flat blade screwdriver should do the trick.Or back probe the connection with a meter.
Wayne

that little red retainer needs to be ALL the way over, it may feel like it is, but it's still in the way. in addition there's a little tab to be squeezed or lifted. still going to be a pita to get apart, but it'll go.

I have a 2000 XJ, and the auxiliary electric fan won't kick on when the AC is at max
Interesting. My 96 fan dosen't come on with the A/C either. However, I have noticed it coming on when the engine temp gets high, so I know it works. Maybe the later models only come on with higher engine temps.....?

Back