• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At What Height for Adj. Control Arms

liljoe71

NAXJA Forum User
I just want to know what the highest you can go without having to install adjustable control arms. Since I am doing a low budget lift this would be helpful.

Lil Joe

Stock Control Arms= 3"s

The stockers won't hold up too well on the rocks. So if you do the drop brackets I would also recommend some beefy aftermarket LCA's. I would like to upgrade my uppers to ... when I swapped my axle last week I noticed I coulg partially twist my UCA's with just one hand - its amazing they can do what they do with how flimsy they are!

Ok let's go the opposite direction. How low can you be to use adjustable lower control arms. I'm at about 2.5", but after putting my rig on the rack I would like to adjust the caster a little. My buddy is tossing some rough country adjustable lowers, would they work with such little lift?

On my 98 I only have an 1.25" of lift in the front and I have rough country adjustable uppers only because they were given to me. But they would not get short enough and still be able to flex so they are .25" longer then stock. So I had to add a .25" shim to the lower control arm bracket on the frame side. If it matters i'm running WJ lower control arms.

Usually around 4"s of Lift for Adjustable Control Arms. Depends on how far they are Threaded and have room to Compress. You would have to contact the Fabricator if it does not state what Size of Lift they would Fit.

Also, you may not be able to Align your Front End if you use Stock Arms above 4 1/2"s. I Lifted to 5"s and no one could Align my XJ with the Stock Control Arms. Had to get Upper Adjustables. Bottoms I set at 16 5/8"s and Uppers at 15 1/4"s to be able to Adjust my Alignment.

Last edited:
Here you go:

Citation: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Control_Arm_Chart.htm

NOTE! Measurements are NOT correct for use with L.C.A. Drop Brackets!

2qa0my1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok let's go the opposite direction. How low can you be to use adjustable lower control arms. I'm at about 2.5", but after putting my rig on the rack I would like to adjust the caster a little. My buddy is tossing some rough country adjustable lowers, would they work with such little lift?

Depends on their adjustability is - the JKS adjustable LCAs I have on mine at 2" work just fine, and I won't taco them like the OEMs every time I wheel it.

In the JKS case, the adjustable LCAs can be set either longer or shorter than stock.

Back