• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good, yet cheap non-"droning" muffler

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Im looking for a good sounding, cheap muffler for my 96 XJ. It is my daily driver, so I don't want it to "drone" inside the jeep much while driving.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Jeep450r

Dynomax all the way. Mine sounds good but is very quite at cruising speeds.

Ive thought about those...

Anybody else?

+1 Dynomax, tho, I wouldn't call it cheap. Thrush turbo is 20 bucks. they have a "welded" muffler that is supposed to be a flowmaster knockoff, not sure how much it it. Not sure what you consider "droning" either.

My flowmaster 40 was definately a droning sounding muffler on the highway. I didn't particularly like it. I'm on the search for something new too right now that is a little beefier then stock sounding and nice on the highway.

The Thrush turbo I had was loud, but it was the least loud of all the aftermarket mufflers I have used. I've read that the thrush welded sounds like an FM40.

I vote dynomax. I have the cat-back, and a magnafow high flow cat and love them both. Music at highway speeds with windows down is easily achievable.

My flowmaster 40 was definately a droning sounding muffler on the highway. I didn't particularly like it. I'm on the search for something new too right now that is a little beefier then stock sounding and nice on the highway.

Weird, with my flowmaster the change was almost unnoticeable inside. I was disappointed it wasn't louder outside too. Tone is good though. The wife didn't even realize I did it until I told her. Looks like I am the "lucky" one though.

-Aaron

I'm running a 2.5" Magnaflow and it sounds pretty good. It's not too loud inside and you can only tell it has exhaust from the outside. It isn't too loud or "ricey" sounding.

Weird, with my flowmaster the change was almost unnoticeable inside. I was disappointed it wasn't louder outside too. Tone is good though. The wife didn't even realize I did it until I told her. Looks like I am the "lucky" one though.

-Aaron

I have done 3 flowmaster 40's on 3 different rigs and I have found that the tailpipe length really affects the sound a lot... on my rig it dumped out the side in front of the rear tire, so it was a fairly short pipe. With a longer pipe it would probably sound a lot quieter.

my FM40 is right between the front and rear seat. and the pipe goes all the way back to the bumper.. and its probably the loudest 4.0liter i have heard.

Back