• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep Just Exploded

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
In a land far, far away called Indiana...
I pulled into a gas station, put it in park. No overheating warning, no nothing.
Then Pfffwhooooosh!!!!:flame::flame::flame:

Something went horrible wrong!! Steam filled the gas station pumping area!! coolant shot out of the grill (like 20ft, srsly, i have pics)
All my coolant drained out in about 10 seconds!!!
Luckily i lived just over a half mile away and i limped home after topping off the overflow bottle.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?!? it was a FKN explosion!!!
Radiator seemed fine, water pump seemed fine, hoses seemed fine...
A nice man at the gas station said it might have been my thermostat, it could have been stuck shut and then built up pressure until it finnaly released in a blast resembling that of Hiroshima. I guess my plan of attack would be to add some coolant/water and turn it on, look for a leak and start replacing things...:hang:

New radiator cap maybe? Did you check and see if it blew a hose?

Hopefully you have access to a pressure tester. If you cant find the leak, about the only othe thing I could think of is the weep hole in the water pump...that kinda aims forward like you described. was it running hot??

If all you coolant, or even a lot of it drained out, just use water until you figure it out. Luckily it won't freeze up. Look at the seam between the plastic tank of the radiator and the aluminum radiator core. X2 on the pressure testor. Saves a lot of time and hot dangerous testing (head near fan, etc.)

Problem has been found. Quite a catastrophic failure if you ask me!!
ill post some pics here in a minute.

dam man that sucks time to replace it with a all metal rad.

Saw some like that under warranty where the plastic had eroded down to paper thickness inside. The coolant coming in to the radiator may have been carrying abrasives like core sand. Wonder if your water pump fins got sand blasted too?

Saw some like that under warranty where the plastic had eroded down to paper thickness inside. The coolant coming in to the radiator may have been carrying abrasives like core sand. Wonder if your water pump fins got sand blasted too?

The plastic doesnt seem very thin per say, it just seems like a giant tear in the plastic. Glad to see this has happend before tho.

Sorry, but that first pic is priceless :roflmao:

But that sucks that it happened, I actually had a radiator leak in that exact spot. I WISH I woulda replaced it with an all metal radiator :banghead:

The plastic doesnt seem very thin per say, it just seems like a giant tear in the plastic. Glad to see this has happend before tho.
I have seen a few tanks do that, mostly engines with coolant problems like stuck thermostat, head gaskets,etc

Sorry, but that first pic is priceless :roflmao:

But that sucks that it happened, I actually had a radiator leak in that exact spot. I WISH I woulda replaced it with an all metal radiator :banghead:

Lol, i took the first pic, thats my brother, i had him drive his truck over in case i needed a tow.

You're damn lucky someone wasn't walking in front of your jeep when that happened! :roflmao:

Wouldn't that make for a pretty hillarious episode of Judge Judy?

Yes i know!!! i was thinking about how horrible it would be. It was like 5 gallons of boiling coolant. I would be sued for all i was worth. Then i would sue Chrysler for selling a flamethrower hahah.

Back