• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help someone stole my rig

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
the cops caught the guys about to empty my tools out of the car luckly.
but when i put the key in the ignition nothing happens, seems like theres no power except there is the snap the the side where the turn signal is, my guess is thats how they hot wired it., what do i do whats the best method to fix this, whats the cheapest.

One suggestion when you get it back together. Wire an ignition kill switch. That way it can't be started without the switch turned on first.

I'm going to do one.

I think there did way more damage the cover that is right on the signal and cruise control is broken off and just to get the car to try to start I had to push some metal thing towards the ignition. literally and hold it there until the car start (but unfortunately i think they flooded my engine) so the cop said something about changing the whole steering column not sure who or what that is help problem was the key wasnt doing anything to start the car or even give it power?
go figure?

seriously whats right nest to the cruise control lever and signal lever the u could push with a knife to start the car?
like in the movies!
thats how the cop tried to start it.
and it would crank but when i put the key in the ignition it wont even acknowledge that the key is in whats wrong?

Ok your key hole is not the actual ignition it is merely a lock, when you turn your key it pushes a rod which activates the ignition switch. They may have just disconnected/broken that rod so that it could be pushed manually with a knife/scredriver/etc. This is actually the way that most thieves steal vehicles, contrary to the movies and "hotwiring" suggest. Most likely replacing the entire steering column would be the easiest fix.

Ok your key hole is not the actual ignition it is merely a lock, when you turn your key it pushes a rod which activates the ignition switch. They may have just disconnected/broken that rod so that it could be pushed manually with a knife/scredriver/etc. This is actually the way that most thieves steal vehicles, contrary to the movies and "hotwiring" suggest. Most likely replacing the entire steering column would be the easiest fix.

ok this is what the officer told me to so do you have any idea where i could find one for the cheapest price and is it a hard job to do

What year is it? If you have tilt steering, you may be able to just reconnect the rod at the joint. If the end is damaged, you're likely better off replacing the entire column.

At the base of the steering column, up on top is the ignition switch. For now, you can unbolt it from the column and use a screwdriver to slide the switch. You will also unbolt the dimmer switch so it won't work unless you reattach it.

Not a good solution, but assuming nothing else was damaged, you can get it started to move it.

I got a complete colum from a pick n pull a while back for less than $50.

At the base of the steering column, up on top is the ignition switch. For now, you can unbolt it from the column and use a screwdriver to slide the switch. You will also unbolt the dimmer switch so it won't work unless you reattach it.

Not a good solution, but assuming nothing else was damaged, you can get it started to move it.

i defenitely need 2 move it
so if u have any more info on that let me kno cause i dont kno this job that well

I cant find a steering column no where and part guys are saying that all i should need is a new lock cylinder and the electrical piece is this true?
Im really looking for the least expensive option I can do the work just give me a write up and im on the way. but this steering column so far no one has one,

I just bought a 91 cherokee from a salvage auction and it was a theft recovery. it would not start. i coudnt figure out what was keeping it from starting. there was no damage that was noticable. so it was difficult to figure it out . the problem ended up being the stock interlock security system. the vehicle manual had the reset procedures in it is there any way that the problem could be the same. just an idea

good luck

Back