• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problems storing bottle jack under rear seat?

austinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have read that hydraulic bottle jacks should not be stored horizontally.

Anyone experience problems when storing hydraulic bottle jacks under the rear seat?

I don’t want to be on stranded the trail and discover that the hydraulic bottle jack won’t work!

Many thanks.

never heard of that, but ive had a larger aftermarket one there for a few years now and I take it out ever now and again to use it and Its been ok.

All of the Ford 450-550's have there hydr jacks stored that way, and never have I seen a problem. Just like any jack, It helps to pump the fluid around.

Some (maybe all) hydro jacks won't operate when facing horizontally, but I've never heard of any problems caused by storing them that way. Mine is horizontal under the back seat at the moment.

I have read that hydraulic bottle jacks should not be stored horizontally.

Anyone experience problems when storing hydraulic bottle jacks under the rear seat?

I don’t want to be on stranded the trail and discover that the hydraulic bottle jack won’t work!

Many thanks.

Mine seem to leak when stored horizontally, old ones more than new. I think the temperature changes force fluid past the seals. I try to keep them in a plastic bag. They'll loose some of their lift height with the loss of fluid.

I think the main concern is that they can leak out the piston. My el-cheapo harbor freight jack leaks like crazy.
Put a sealed bottle of jack oil in there with it (along with a funnel) and I think you shouldn't have anything to worry about other than a possible carpet stain.

Mine seem to leak when stored horizontally, old ones more than new. I try to keep them in a plastic bag. They'll loose some of their lift height with the loss of fluid.
That's the problem I ran into too, as well as the solution. I have to top up the jack about once a year, and remember to clean out/replace the bag every once in a while to keep the carpet from getting saturated.

Back