• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood pins

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 98 XJ to use as a trail rig and I want to use hood pins, are there any specific I should get? I was looking at Summit Racing's listing and they seem to range from like $10 a set to $25.

The rig's already got some minor damage and the hood needs some massaging to get it to close all the way. Looks are not as important as functionality.

autofab pins + a hood strut
hoodpinkitbl8.jpg

Probably not too important which ones you use. Just make sure their long enough so that you can bolt them into the core support and still have enough left to go through the hood. The cheaper ones are probably plated steel, were the more expensive ones could be a little fancier, like billit aluminum. Back in my racing days, I even made some of my own out of 1/2 inch bolts by cutting the heads off of them, rounding the tops, and drilling the hole for the pins. Rivit large 5/8 in fender washers to the hood for the reinforcement/protector plate...you can get all this from any hardware store for a couple bucks...

XJs also have a tendency to refuse to come unlatched. The Cable Freezes, Rusts Up, or Breaks after a while. To open it up, one has to remove the Headlights and their Baskets to get to the Bolts holding the Latch Mechanisms in place. It can really become a problem out doing something or another and one has to attend to Engine Issues.

I think Hood Pins look awesome on a XJ. It gives more of a rugged look to them. I would use Stainless Steel Pins though. IMHO

Thanks for Posting this Thread so that I too can see what People may be using.

Last edited:
Has anyone had to Fabricate Hood Pin Mounting Brackets to have them work?
If so, can you please Post Up some Photos.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone had to Fabricate Hood Pin Mounting Brackets to have them work?
If so, can you please Post Up some Photos.
Thanks.
As long as the pin is the right length bolt them through the top of the core suport near where the latches were. Use large washers top and bottom to spread the load. close the hood onto the pins lightly until they dimple the hood skin so that you know where to drill the holes. Use a piece of 5/8 heater hose slid over the pin before u close the hood to keep it from rattleing around too much...

a buddy used a set like above from autozone Stainless also.... and it worked out fine.. in fact i have picked up a set for $10 bucks as well but havent got around to installing them... if i get a chance ill snap a few pictures of his finished install......

I would go with a Stainless Steel Set. I do not know the Length of these, however, they are reasonably Priced.

Summit SUM-G3870SS - Summit® Hood Pin Sets $10.95

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3870SS/?image=large

sum-g3870ss_w.jpg
DSC03146.jpg

i reused the springs off the old clips to pop the hood up when the pins are released. i also left the middle latch in.. for a just in case.
DSC03149.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

btw... search for this... i have posted these pics before in previous threads.

Those are the Stainless Steel Set? OMG, Thanks. I don't want them now!

Stainless steel does still rust, depending on the type.

316 is good against rust prevention. Where I work, we use 316 hardware on what we build, which is salt water submersible.

If you really want something that won't rust, get titanium parts. The titanium won't rust, but its no where near economical.

Those are the Stainless Steel Set? OMG, Thanks. I don't want them now!
seriously? you are worried about rust?

and those are the advance auto special...

I love my XJ covered with Mud. Dents and Scratches give it Character. I live in Florida where it Rains a lot during the Rainy Season. I have almost no Rust and I certainly don't want Hood Pins sticking out like sore Thumbs all Rusty and such.

Why couldn't you just drill a hole in the rad. support and thread a long-enough, drilled bolt up? Nah, it's easier to pay $10, I guess. Just thinking with my keyboard.

I love my XJ covered with Mud. Dents and Scratches give it Character. I live in Florida where it Rains a lot during the Rainy Season. I have almost no Rust and I certainly don't want Hood Pins sticking out like sore Thumbs all Rusty and such.
so paint them to match your jeep...

Notice that the hood pins aren't rusty. Just all the other steel parts attached. Start poking holes in stuff and that's what you get. Use sealer and keep it all waxed if you want a show vehicle. In Michigan salt (winter) and probably Florida sea air, anything that breaks the paint will start rust.

Back