• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in the NW do diff rebuilds?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
Thinking that my D30 on my XJ needs to get the carrier bearings replaced. I see rebuild kits available, but I have never done a diff. Anyone have a recommendation on who should do it? Or is something that I should take on?

Should I just do the carrier bearings and seals, or do the pinion bearings as well?

I am in Central OR.

Thanks,
Bob

I understand this isn't your question or necessarily the answer you were looking for, but I will post it anyway.

Why do you think you need new bearings?
How many miles on the axle?
What tires, gears, abuse, etc, etc, etc?

To do the bearing correctly you should re-set up the gears which is an expensive proposition to have done and a doable, but not easy proposition for the DIY mechanic (it also requires some specially tools).

SO, my point is how badly do they need to be done and why?
You could have them done, do it yourself with some experience, or replace the whole axle with another used one (which would probably be a MUCH cheaper solution than either of the other two).

It really depends on the situation, and we need more details to help understand your situation and what road might be better than another.

Michael

Gears aren't as hard to set up as you might think... follow the directions that come with install kit/ gears... only real "specialty tools" you need are a magnetic base for a dial indicator and a dial indicator... can be found at Harbor Frieght cheap... search online for setting up gears... tons of people on various sites have done walkthroughs w/ pics... study several and learn from them... I've set up gears in my garage before... it's no biggie... just do some research and try it... another option is to get a junk axle and just familiarize yourself with the inner workings... good training! Gear pattern is the key! most gear companies send a paste or similar compound to coat a few teeth with, and as you rotate the gears after install, you get a "pattern" in the paste... compare pattern to pics supplied and adjust gear lash accordingly... it's all spelled out pretty thoroughly in the supplied instructions!:roll: Use the internet to gain knowledge!

Good luck, man!:thumbup:

On a side note... how mechanically inclined are you? If you don't feel comfortable diving into setting up gears, by all means try to find someone to do it for you, or you might have a friend who can help guide you through the process... Me, I like to do my homework, then dive right in! Of course, I've been doing this stuff since I was a teenager in shop class! I have rebuilt engines, auto and four-speed trannys, axles, (however I have yet to crack open a t-case... hmmm.. next project!:shiver:)

Back