• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trip recap

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just got back from our trip to the Rubicon Trail. We had seven Jeeps in our group, six from SoCal and EricsXJ from Reno.

The weather was beautiful, but it did get pretty darn cold at night. We had some issues the first day. So we decided to camp for two nights at Buck Island Lake.

Friday was just a lazy day spent doing whatever. Some people went hiking. Some of us stayed in camp to help Rollins fix a busted power steering pressure hose.

On Thursday, Gary (lamula) had a rear drum brake failure. He had to run the rest of the trail with front brakes only.

We finished the trail on Saturday and got to NAPA right before they closed. We then had a wrenchfest in the Motel 6 parking lot. Afterwards, we went to Harrah's for a buffet dinner.

We took the scenic route home down highway 395, stopping for lunch in Mammoth. Slowrider Curt had a wiring problem that shut his Jeep down completely while driving. But Dr. Rollins fixed the problem and we continued with no further problems.

IMG_6378.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

Great pics, Johnny. Looks like fun, want to talk to you more about it.....

Awesome pics johnny. i hope to someday make it out there. what are the minimum requirements to run those trails? What was the problem with the one jeep that shut down while driving?

I would say at least 33 inch tires, two lockers, and rock rails.

Curt blew a fusible link, which shut everything down. Mike looked for the culprit, but could not find it. He reconnected the wire and it started up and ran. :dunno:

Should've been there Danwho! ;)

It was my first time on this trail and man, its awesome! I got hung up on one obstacle that required a tug which is the one that Johnny posted a pic of previously. I did score a little dent due taking a slippery line on Big Sluice and having some stranger spot me. It could have been avoided but oh well. I took on a little water in the cab because I thought that my intake took some too on one spot and shut it down just in case but it was fine. Now my cab smells like dirty socks or wet dog.

Mike likes to flex:
Rubicon09+022.jpg

Eric tries Soup Bowl:
Rubicon09+031.jpg

JR was there at Little Sluice:
Rubicon09+039.jpg

Gary's carnage:
Rubicon09+042.jpg

3 green Landcruisers flopped at Buck Island that day:
Rubicon09+047.jpg

Rubicon09+050.jpg

Nice shot of Buck island:
Rubicon09+065.jpg

Johnny at his favorite spot:
Rubicon09+067.jpg

danny at Big Sluice:
Rubicon09+070.jpg

The group:
Rubicon09+080.jpg

All the pics are here:
http://nicandjosh.com/modules/gallery/v/Travel/Rubicon09/

Dammit I knew I shouldv'e ridden as someones Beotch.

Fun trip! We had some issues but beat them all and had a great time doing so. Even the bugs weren't as big a problem as last time. 1st shot of John working through the rocks, second shot is Danny dropping into Big Sluice.

DSC00688.jpg DSC00709.jpg

Last edited:
that's it! i'm moving out of new jersey

you shouldnt have to, just make a day trip of it :p

man, now i really want to build up my heep so i can run this trail. looks like ill be dumping some money into it sooner than i anticipated.

And yes Santa, we did see some beavers. One of the critters walked right up to our camp. Hopefully, somebody got a picture. I wasn't quick enough.

It was a great time. I gotta wash my jeep to see how much I rubbed stuff. I know I hit my decklid once and my right rear quarter touched in some tight spots. I did get some fender clearancing done. My rock rails got a work out. I will post some pictures when I get off work today.

If you recall MJR was the first guy last year to call us on the radio and report to us he saw a Beaver on top of the hill he was on and we were a long ways from any water......SANTA

I suggested we rename it to the Beaver Run. :D It looked just like that damn beaver from the movie with Bill Murray, Groundhog Day.

Last edited:
Back