• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing holiday trailer

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
I will be in the market for a holiday trailer soon, I have some questions regarding weight when it comes to trailers. I looked at a 17ft. trailer, the salesman stated that when the trailer is loaded, including water, it will run approx. 4400lbs. Is this too heavy, should I have a tranny cooler installed, what are some of the weights that you pull with your XJ. PS, I live in the interior of B.C. Canada where there are some hills and the summers are hot, in the hi 90's. My XJ is a 2000 auto. Thanks for your time.

HD transmission cooler is a must, you should think about an HD radiator as well. Maybe even an oil cooler as well. The cooler you keep things while towing the better off you are, especially if you pulling a steep grade in the mountains.

Check you spring packs in the rear, they will most likely need to be reworked in order to handle all the tongue weight. A wieght distributing hitch will sometimes help with that.

4500 lbs is a lot, maybe to much. Towing anything you want to keep it cool and mask sure your brakes can stop you and the load. Most likely you'll want an electrical trailer brake controler for the trailer and might want to think hard about a brake upgrade.

Service the rear end as well, new fluid, check it over etc...

I just towed a big UHual trailer with my 2000, had it loaded to the gills with heavy stuff. It did the job but was hard on the truck. Might want to talk the salesman at the trailer place int letting you do a test tow.

PS - when towing keep it in 3rd, not drive. You'll jump into OD and start lugging it and that'll be the end of you.

Your towing capacity is 5000 pounds. When the salesman was talking "loaded" what was he taking into consideration?

Food, dishes, pots and pans? Clothing, bedding, sports equipment? Clean water tank full, but what about the holding tanks?

IDK, but 600 lbs doesn't seem like much leeway.

You could always drop in a small-block chevy and trans upgrade! :party:

Back