• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More D30 issues.......

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all, Happy Fathers Day!

I took my XJ down to California ( 7hr drive ) to see my dad. Even though I had some issues with noise that came up some times, the thing has been running well. I did change out my drivers side hub, and headed down the hwy.....

I went out this morning, and there was a "stain" by my front left tire. I must of destroyed the seal when I put back the axle, plus I am still getting some noise sometimes when I come to a stop. I also have some oil on the inside of the tire and so spray inside the wheel fender

I assume that the inner bearing is shot, but now I have a leaky axle and noise, and 400 miles from home. I bought some more oil and have a pump, so I will refill it before I head home. Should it make it home???? Will explode and send me into a guard rail??? I can stop ever so often and refill. Also, what does it take to rebuild one of these things? Anyone have a good link? Or should i take it to a Jeep mechanic and have it done?

Thanks all, and let me know if you would drive it................

Thanks Bob

Did you drain the diff before pulling the axle? If not, then it might just be residual lube in the axle tube.

I would go for it, but clean up the wheel/brake with brake cleaner then stop and check the diff's lube level at comfortable intervals.

Thanks for the reply,
Interesting, no, I did not drain the axle when I pulled the shaft while replacing the hub!!!
Makes sense....... maybe it is just oil inside the tub, and the car was parked overnight on the curb so it was leaning towards the drivers side.......

I will refill before I leave, and see if the "spray" continues.

I did a search on the site, and don't see anyone complaining of axle exploding and such,,,,, that's a good sign.

I still think my carrier bearing has a issue. I wonder if you can pull the carrier out and not do anything with the pinion, and just replace the bearings and seals???????

Thanks
Bob

Back