• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake air temp code after K&N install

BoringDave

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a cone filter on my 99 a few months ago and the check engine lite came on. I checked the codes and it was the code for intake air temp. I did not think much of it thought maybe the sensor was bad no big deal just drive it.

So my father bought a 01 to replace his 95. today we switched out the k&n drop in replacement style filter from his 95 to the 01 and the check in lite came on. Other then putting the paper filter back in is there anything I can do to shut off the lite?

Dave

First check the MAT sensor to make sure its operating properly. If it is then I would clear the code and drive it. It could be that the sudden change just threw things out of range and the ECM took notice.

I installed a cone filter on my 99 a few months ago and the check engine lite came on. I checked the codes and it was the code for intake air temp. I did not think much of it thought maybe the sensor was bad no big deal just drive it.

So my father bought a 01 to replace his 95. today we switched out the k&n drop in replacement style filter from his 95 to the 01 and the check in lite came on. Other then putting the paper filter back in is there anything I can do to shut off the lite?

Dave

Check the inside of your tube between the throttle body and the filter after a few dusty trails, you will be very suprised,maybe a little dissapointed at your purchase. I'm back to running normal paper elements in the stock box. Also Toyota and dodge have tsb's out on running K&n style filters. Other than the dust getting through they can mess up airflow meters,mass airflow sensors, maybe not on the jeep.

My father talked with a friend of his that is a Honda tech (I know he's not a Jeep tech but he is very sharp) He told my father that some of the newer cars do not like high flow filters. That they actually do more harm then good on a stock motor. he claims that the computer can not compensate for all the air and the only way to make it work right would be to use a tuner to reprogram the ecm.

So were going to pull both our k&n's and put the paper filters back in and see what happens

Thanks for all the info guys.

Might have put to much oil on the filter and it messed with the sensor.

Possible I guess, but it did it right out of the box after running it about a week. Since junking the filter for the Amsoil no codes for about six months now on the 01. :confused:

I also have a K&N intake system on my 91 OBDI Comanche stroker but no problems there.

I get the check engine for a week or two and it'll turn off and stay off for a month or two. Then it will come back on. The last time was right after I changed the oil (and serpentine belt). I'm not sure why it happens.

A note on K&N and filtering dust, though. K&N designed them to run dirty. They have said in the past that a brand new, clean filter won't filter as well as a dirty one, but should still flow the same. So, load it with oil, let the dust build up and try to get over the dirty look.

Back