• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal?

Twisted_Dakota

NAXJA Forum User
This is where my oil pressure needle sits when at idle even after driving for a while after i stop at a light or something:
63dcf0fb.jpg

And this is where its at while driving:
af8e49d0.jpg

My question is is this normal? If not where should the needle be and could it possibly be the oil sending unit? I have also read about Fram filters causing problems; thats whats on the jeep now because thats what was on it when I got it a few weeks ago....

10 psi per 1000 rpm would be considered in the normal range.

Oil type and weight? Oil filter brand?

looks a bit low to me... Check it the old fashioned way... with a stick

Kinda hard to do that... I am waiting on the dealership to get my new dipstick in seeing as how the guy i bought it from broke the top off the dipstick and its stuck in the tube.

Some here would say that your problem is the FRAM filter, that you should go with a WIX.

well as soon as my new dipstick gets in the oil is getting changed and a wix filter is going in... Wix is what I have used in all my cars.

i run a fram filter and it's no problem at all. and i run 10w 30. im not mechanical genius but mine runs abit lower than half at idle and around the half way point for driving if not abit higher. i think u have a problem. but then again u said that the top of the dipstick is missing and maybe that would cause lower pressure? idk but i'd guess that.

i run a fram filter and it's no problem at all. and i run 10w 30. im not mechanical genius but mine runs abit lower than half at idle and around the half way point for driving if not abit higher. i think u have a problem. but then again u said that the top of the dipstick is missing and maybe that would cause lower pressure? idk but i'd guess that.

Missing the dipstick and/or dipstick tube won't effect oil pressure.

Oil pump, wear on bearings, low oil level, those are the biggies.

As for the FRAM vs other filters, I have used FRAM in the past w/o problems. That said, there are enough posters on this forum that feel the current production FRAM filters are not as good as in years past, and they have posted numerous anecdotal observations of low oil pressure with FRAM filters.

looks pretty normal to me. nothing to be alarmed about. and if you dont feel comfortable with the readings currently, try replacing the oil pressure sender. they go bad.

Well, I can't really go by needle location, as I have a mechanical guage... but once the motor has heated up my pressure is rather low(sometimes stupidly low) at idle. And it goes up around 40-50 when driving. Does it with 10W30 and 10W40. I use good oil filters, but I'm not seeing what that could have to do with it. My beef with Fram, having dismantled them, is crappy construction materials that would lead to failure. I'd never heard that they would lower your pressure.

Last edited:
so i replaced my dip stick and changed the oil today and my oil pressure at idle is no lower than 40 and stays in between 40-80 while driving.... I am happy.
I a.so replaced the fram filter with a wix

ok... i am just happy it isnt so low any more and not jumping around.

Well, I can't really go by needle location, as I have a mechanical guage... but once the motor has heated up my pressure is rather low(sometimes stupidly low) at idle. And it goes up around 40-50 when driving. Does it with 10W30 and 10W40. I use good oil filters, but I'm not seeing what that could have to do with it. My beef with Fram, having dismantled them, is crappy construction materials that would lead to failure. I'd never heard that they would lower your pressure.

How low is stupidly low? Because my needle is all over the place. Today it has been anywhere from just above 0 to 50, but mostly so low that my check gauges light is on. Normally it's been fine at crusing speeds (65-75) but as soon as I accelerate it drops rather quickly. I changed out the oil sending unit this morning and nothing has changed. Next is the rear main seal because it's leaking. Now I am running castrol gtx 20w50.

How low is stupidly low? Because my needle is all over the place. Today it has been anywhere from just above 0 to 50, but mostly so low that my check gauges light is on. Normally it's been fine at crusing speeds (65-75) but as soon as I accelerate it drops rather quickly. I changed out the oil sending unit this morning and nothing has changed. Next is the rear main seal because it's leaking. Now I am running castrol gtx 20w50.

Maybe you are chasing a ghost. Beg, borrow, rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge and check your pressure with that.

Also, while you have the oil sender off and before attaching the gauge, run a pipe cleaner or wire into the orifice to make sure it is clear.

Back