• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 linkage for a 242, and brakes

wishbone

NAXJA Forum User
O.K., Betsy, the 88 laredo is on the ground, running better than she has in a while. I bought this thing as a project, and it was falling apart at the seams, and after 5 months of working on it, Im down to just a few things to do to it before it gets built. Now a tricky part.

The PO had some things changed, I assume out of necessity, and this one has got me.
Im pretty sure this jeep came with a 231, because the transfer case shift has 2H, 4H, N, 4L. The case is definately 242, which should have 2H, 4PT, 4HI, N, 4L, right?
So, if I switch the bracket inside the cab, would that give me the range of motion that I need to engage all of my options?
I searched, and all I could find was going from manual to auto tranny, and moving my pivot point on the linkage...
Thanks...

Oh yeah, my brakes also go to the floor. I replaced rotors and pads, and bled all of the dirt/water and air out of the system, and now they will stop the jeep, but not much better than the Ebrake alone. Is this the master cylinder/booster, or what? there are no leaks that Ive seen yet, but that doesn't mean that they aren't there...
thanks all!

as for the brakes, the brake pedal going to the floor, or close to it is related to several things.

-Trapped air in the system
-bad master cylinder
-Leaks somewhere in the system

If you've bleed (correctly) a lot and that is of no help, i'd suggest you follow all the brake lines leaving the master cylinder and make sure that none of the lines are leaking. and none of the calipers are leaking. and that the rear wheel cylinders aren't leaking. (check for wetness in the barrels of the wheels, leaking down the calipers/pads, and pop off the rear drums and take a peek).

Provided nothing comes from that, it most certainly would be your master cylinder. For example if your brake booster was bad you're brake pedal would be very high/hard to press....like when you hit the brakes a few times in a car that is off. Master cylinder going bad = low and or sinking brake pedal.

Snag the shift gate and bezel from a 242 xj at the salvage yard and then adjust the linkage to specs.

Back