• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk noise

reptile

NAXJA Forum User
i keep getting a clunking noise from the front end but it seems only to happen when it's turning or when i turn and i hit a bump... any ideas?

Have a friend turn your steering wheel back and forth as you watch for loose or worn bushings. The clunk could be control arm bushings, track bar, sway bar bushings, drive axle u-joints, ball joints and others.

yeah i bought this xj back in February and about a week after owning it i noticed it. i've replaced the inner sway bar bushings and it quieted down abit but it's been about a month and it's getting loud again. im just worried to be driving down the freeway and all of a sudden my front end falls off.

Hallo Reptile, I do have the same with my '92.
The clunk is harder in combination with the suspension working.
I have searched everything for a few months now.
I think it is not dangerous if everything is tight.
I wait till the clunk is coming back harder and getting worser ,mayby I can see it than where it is coming from. LOL :eyes:

'92 XJ

No reason too. Every Jeep I've owned had some bad bushings when clunking. Started replacing worn parts and the clunk is gone.

That's the problem. How to see what part is worn.
OK there several possibilities to do that, but you have to admit , replacing suspecting parts is an expensive job.
Sometimes you can't see or feel it, you have to take it apart. :laugh:

Steering is easy. On the steering box I back the bolts off and re-tighten once they are all loose. Track bar I use a large pry bar with a rag a wrapped around it and push and pull on the track-bar. control arms are easy enough to see, as well as sway bar. Axle U-joints and wheel hubs have to be pulled. I was not planning on doing my wheel bearing and the minute I removed the large nut it fell apart.

i actually came across a buddy who just picked up a jeep he's parting out and he gave me the whole front end suspension for $75 so im going to take the best of both of mine and reinforce the axle with 8th in steel. and i have rusty's 1/4 inch heavy duty control arm brackets also. hopefully while the axles are apart we can find that clunking noise. or at least with this new one it wont clunk.

Back