• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Assembly needs Attention.

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
Possibly needing to replace my Front Axle Assembly. Want to Upgrade to a much stronger Axle Assembly. The Passenger Side Adjustable Lower Control Arm broke in Half a couple days ago causing everything to swing back on that side and bent ALL my Brackets on my D30. Fabricator is replacing my Lowers with New Stronger Redesigned Lowers with Flex Joints.

Since, I do need to replace my worn out Sealed Front Wheel Bearings with Hubs at about $130 a side shipped, weld new HD 1/4" thick Brackets on I thought that maybe I should swap it for something better.

What Front Axle Assemblies would fit a '96 XJ? I now have a D30 High Pinion with 3.55 gears on my '96 Cherokee XJ 4x4 Country with a 4.0, AW4, NP231, and C8.25. At present I sit with 5"s of Lift and 32s. I will be going higher and bigger in the near future.

I will be upgrading the rear to a F8.8 with 4.10s.

Any ideas? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Anyone with suggestions or opinions?

Thanks

dana 30s and 44s- (from newer wranglers) are the only factory axles that come ready to bolt up to your cherokee. a few company's make bracket kits and trusses, honestly if your running 32s and maybe gonna go 33s or 35s the dana 30 is fine... just truss and armor the housing and maybe look into to chromoly axles, especially if you are running a front locker. the price of building/swapping a bigger front axle will equal out with the price of a chromoly shaft kit.

dana 30s and 44s- (from newer wranglers) are the only factory axles that come ready to bolt up to your cherokee. a few company's make bracket kits and trusses, honestly if your running 32s and maybe gonna go 33s or 35s the dana 30 is fine... just truss and armor the housing and maybe look into to chromoly axles, especially if you are running a front locker. the price of building/swapping a bigger front axle will equal out with the price of a chromoly shaft kit.

Great Advise hidesintrees! I have been thinking about those Upgrades. Just thought there may be a less Expensive Alternative.

I will be going to 4.11s/4.10s as the 4.10 comes stock in a F8.8 and thought with all but the Housing Changed out in a D30 Upgrade there may be a less labor intensive choice.

A D44 Front Axle Assembly has it's costs as well. $2200 or more for the Assembly. However, it comes with 4.10s.

Not really looking for a Direct Swap In. Thought there may be a Junk Yard Assembly that may need Brackets, Mounts, Etc. changed out to be installed that would have about the same Width as the D30.

Thanks.

I was told when I had called a Local 4x4 Shop about getting some 1/4" Mounting Brackets the Sealed Bearings were $155 each. Online, I found them for about $115 plus Shipping.

I've seen the hubs for as little as $60 on-line but for the life of me I can't remember where. Keep shopping and you will find some cheaper.

The D-30 can handle 35's/locked on the rocks as long as you do as others have said, alloy shafts, truss, skid plating and a good cover like the RuffStuff. The cover alone will do a good job of controlling ring gear deflection and if you tie it into the truss then its even stronger. The big problem with the 30 is when a axle u-joint goes with a bang it will pop a ball joint or kill a knuckle. CTM's/alloy shafts or Longfields will take care of that issue. Of course when you make the shafts stronger then the weak link gets moved into the R&P.

One mod leads to another.

All of your damage was caused by a lower control arm breaking and you're looking to spend how much to replace the whole front axle?

Get new unit bearings, new brackets, seat time.

I am thinking about Upgrading when I have the work done. Driver's Side Lower Mounting Bracket was 75% torn off, Passenger Side Twisted, Passenger Side Upper Badly Twisted and the Sealed Wheel Bearings are bad. I am hoping to keep the Upgrade under $1500 including having 4.10/4.11s. I was hoping to have Stronger Outers as well. I thought there may be a Junk Yard Assembly with 4.10s that would work. I can always change the Brackets and Coil Spring Perches.

Back