• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

went to JV... broke a lot of stuff. what to do?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so this morning i let my buddy drive my truck around. hes driven it before and had no trouble and knew what to do and what not to do. but this time i guess not... because he rolled up with my front end clunking and a hole ripped in the down pipe.

i removed the front driveshaft and thats when i noticed my lower left control arm mount on the axle was hanging on by a tack weld basically.

the clunking didnt go away so im pretty sure that my front ring and pinion is shredded.

and to top it all off on the way back from jv my right rear tire exploded.

so i have a couple of options:
i can take out a loan and buy a whole new front 44 with gears locker etc...
i can get new control arm mounts and new ring and pinion...(i dont have a welder)

im just looking for some advice from some more experienced people.
thank you
-Shomsky

You're gonna need to take the diff cover off and see the extent of the damage. If the housing is not damaged then you can replace the gears and bearings/seals and you should be O.K. Of course you also need to have the control arm mount reattached. What gearing are you running? If you are 3:55 or less, I have a carrier with spiders you can have. I have a set of 4:10 gears for a D30 you can have if that is your ratio. First things first though, pull the cover and let us know what you find.

The base hobbyshop can weld for you (cheap too,) but word to the wise, talk to Rich NOT Ben. Rich runs the shop, he is super busy, and is THE one who knows how to weld IMO, don't let ben weld your stuff. Ben blew a huge hole in my "framerail" when he was using the MIG to attach my leafspring mount, that mount started to break off also, I caught that just in time. Also my right rear lower shock mount fell off within a week, 0 penetration.

Also, I'm opposed to taking out a loan to upgrade something like that. Fix what you got, till you can drop cash.

Semper

my tire on the way back
downsized_0620091237.jpg

my lower control arm
0624091939.jpg

down pipe
0624091938.jpg

ring and pinion
0624091937.jpg

it doesnt look like any of the housing is messed up.
but i will defnitely need to pull the axle and get new lower mounts, and a ring and pinion install.

ive been looking to upgrade my front axle for a while now and now seems like a good time...

im going to be in the field for the entire month of july and that means 2 full paychecks will be saved up.

what built dana 44's would you guys reccomend for a decent price that will hold 36's no problem? gears, locker, shafts etc...

thanks
-Shomsky

Did your friend give you the story on how he did all that to your truck?

how 'bout sayin' nicely to your buddy that he broke your chit that he needs to cough up. i know it's not exactly the easiest conversation to have- that there is some significant damage that either took a lapse in judgement or disregard for your truck.

if i was in his position i would be feeling horribly and would do whateve i could to remedy the situation.

hope all turns out well for you.

Did your friend give you the story on how he did all that to your truck?

I bet you it went like this " I dont know what happened.. I was just driving and I just started making funny noises"

:D

im going to be in the field for the entire month of july and that means 2 full paychecks will be saved up.

what built dana 44's would you guys reccomend for a decent price that will hold 36's no problem? gears, locker, shafts etc...

-Shomsky

do it once and do it right. go 60 or nine inch.

if your gonna drop coin do it on something upgradable like a 60.

you can build an currie iron jock d60 for pretty cheap.

robertk did this here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913710

if you decide to keep the 30 ive got a 4.88 gearset and locker in a bent front axle i could snag out for ya at a devil dog discount.

do it once and do it right. go 60 or nine inch.

if your gonna drop coin do it on something upgradable like a 60.

you can build an currie iron jock d60 for pretty cheap.

robertk did this here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913710

if you decide to keep the 30 ive got a 4.88 gearset and locker in a bent front axle i could snag out for ya at a devil dog discount.
What kind of locker is that? I've been looking for a replacement for my Aussie I damaged at JV.

What kind of locker is that? I've been looking for a replacement for my Aussie I damaged at JV.

ill have to break it open n see....

think its a detroit?

dunno. just know it aint open/limited slip.

i need to get at you anyways there john, got some gears that need to be done soon :D

Back