• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck on defrost!?

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
so whatever setting i put my blower on it stays on defrost. is it just my flaps are stuck in my dash? if so do i have to take my whole dash out to fix it. i heard this is a common problem on xj and wj. thanks for any input guys

so whatever setting i put my blower on it stays on defrost. is it just my flaps are stuck in my dash? if so do i have to take my whole dash out to fix it. i heard this is a common problem on xj and wj. thanks for any input guys

Nope, vacumn leak. Check the line that runs behind the battery going to the resivior behind the front bumper. I got 5 bucks says your cruise control doesn't work either.

Of the 12 Jeeps I've owned only one had a jammed blend door. I ended up removing the lower dash and most of the center console. I agree with the previous posts about the vacuum leak. Vacuum storage canister is on the passenger side front bumper.

how bout this..
i stuck my canister (90 4L) against the firewall on the passenger side and ran all the lines the way they were just shorter.
mine will go to all the modes but only from the Off postion, if its on Vent i cant go to Defrost and back to Vent, it then will stay on Defrost, same with other modes to and from Defrost. minor leak?? n my cruise control is down too haha

havent checked cruise control yet, but i can find a leak? how do i use the smoke method? im hoping u guys are right and its just a leak. could it be a leak from behind the control panel?

well if you're like me, you could have installed the check valve at the firewall in reverse when you last futzed with it.

Or the check valve could be plugged.

Or you might have a loose or pinched vacuum line behind the dash

Or the Climate Control unit might have a leak

where did you guys get replacement lines for the heater controls and cruise and stuff? theyre pretty long and i want to replace them all for piece of mind. my cruise doesnt work anymore and my defrost is always on as well. should i just relocate the ball to under the hood to shorten the lines?

My fix was right under and right of the steering wheel under the dash. Up under there where the emissions timer is. Its a vacuum servo motor. Toyed around and plugged i believe it was the blue fitting. Fixed the defrost problem. Check it out.

The leak that caused this on my father's 01 was vac line near the battery. battery acid ate through it, the leak caused other problems in that case.

where did you guys get replacement lines for the heater controls and cruise and stuff? theyre pretty long and i want to replace them all for piece of mind. my cruise doesnt work anymore and my defrost is always on as well. should i just relocate the ball to under the hood to shorten the lines?

I moved mine to under the coolant bottle.

My fix was right under and right of the steering wheel under the dash. Up under there where the emissions timer is. Its a vacuum servo motor. Toyed around and plugged i believe it was the blue fitting. Fixed the defrost problem. Check it out.

what year was the XJ?

Back