• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best extended brake lines?

mcantar18c

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've been looking around, and I can't find a straight answer.
I currently have a 4.5" lift with stock brake lines. I'm getting 33s on Wednesday, and if necessary I can relocate them for now, but Coloradofest is coming up and I'm gonna need extended lines. I'm also going to be putting my 2" spacers back on once I get an SYE in the next few months, and I don't want to have to get new lines again.
Any suggestions?

I have Rusty's SS lines.

How are they holding up? I've heard that stainless lines like to break.

I have a 6.5" long arm lift and I installed early 90's GM pickup brake lines when I put the lift in. Bolt right in and plenty of length for full droop. Ithink I used a wrangler rear brake line and same thing - plenty of length

Define "best".

Stock Wrangler brake lines are 3-4" longer than XJ. Stock Chevy and Durango are also longer than XJ. DOT approved stainless steel braided brake lines will hold up.

early model Chevy lines in the front and a Dakota rear hose works great for me at 5"-6" lift

I friggen hate my stainless lines, always worried about them rubbing chaffing, at full froop They are just long enough, at full compression they are everywhere, near touching coild,tire. Will be going back to rubber

Well, I ordered some RE lines... I was gonna look into it more, but I found a great deal on them so I went for it... I hope they hold up.

I friggen hate my stainless lines, always worried about them rubbing chaffing, at full froop They are just long enough, at full compression they are everywhere, near touching coild,tire. Will be going back to rubber

What does improper line installation have to do with product type?

Define "best".

Stock Wrangler brake lines are 3-4" longer than XJ. Stock Chevy and Durango are also longer than XJ. DOT approved stainless steel braided brake lines will hold up.

I know this is kind of an older thread but I am wondering if I could use wrangler lines front and rear with the 4.5 inch lift I am putting on.

Thanks

I dont know how accurite autozone.com site is with brake line lengths but here is what they have

93Xj
F 16.25 inches
R 14.5 inches

93 YJ
F 14.5 inches
R 17.5 inches

93 4wd Dodge dakota
R 21.81

So it looks like the dakota rear would work well but what about the front?

I use YJ lines front and rear and have plenty of slack with 5" of lift. I think the fronts are 2" longer than stock xj and the rear is about 3" longer than stock.

I use YJ lines front and rear and have plenty of slack with 5" of lift. I think the fronts are 2" longer than stock xj and the rear is about 3" longer than stock.

Do you know what year your reffrenced? wonder why autozone has the yj front listed as shorter than the xj.

I'm not sure, I just bought a 94/95 (really just early 90s, I forget which one I told the guy at the desk so he could look it up) YJ rear rubber line and it is approx 2.25" longer than the stock XJ one I have sitting on my desk. The YJ line I got is 17" long I believe. I think the autozone part number is 78115, which looks right on their site and has a length of 17.5" by their reckoning.

EDIT - fyi, you will want to keep the frame retention clip from your original rubber line, the autozone one does not come with a new clip.

Last edited:
i also got the yj/ xj lines from procomp. 7425 i believe their 3" longer than stock, i also relocated my fenderwell mount about 3" lower and forward a little bit to give it more flex

heres a bastard pack lift write up, about half way down it shows where you relocate your brake lines to. and this write up used yj lines as well
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Thanks! I think i will move the mounts as well.

Back