• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washed my Engine and now trans shifts Hard.

Tweeternpi

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I was mudd off of my Engine the other day, and now my Trans does not want to shift right. It holds the gears and is running hotter. I have read that it may be the tps. How would I check this? I have read a few things but have not found what might of happen. Just some things about trans shifting hard and poeple asking if they washed there engine. Please help. Have a Jeep show tomorrow and do now what to kill my trans. It is a 92 4.0l AW4 242.

thanks this is a great site.

Replce the TPS: if it fixes the problem then that was the problem...if not then you have a brand new TPS anyways and the truck will probably run better.

9 times out of 10 it's TPS

TPSs are expensive ish I wouldn't trough $50 - $75 at it at a guess. I am not near my electrical manual for XJs but surley someone here can post the test specs.

TPSs are expensive ish I wouldn't trough $50 - $75 at it at a guess. I am not near my electrical manual for XJs but surley someone here can post the test specs.

Not sure if 92 uses the adjustable TPS? My guess is 'no'.

Buy a new one and install it and see if it fixes the problem. If not, return it.

There's lots of threads about testing the TPS.

Ok, I was (washing?) mudd off of my Engine the other day, and now my Trans does not want to shift right. It holds the gears and is running hotter.

If the TPS was bad, it probably wouldn't even start.

Washing "mud off the engine" implies 1) doing a lot of deep mudding 2) using a hi pressure hose, like at a car wash. Running hot could be a clogged radiator, and not shifting could be a lot of water in the fluid.

Engines and electronic sensors cannot withstand more than garden hose pressure. If a hi pressure wash was used, it forces moisture in electrical connections and messes up the signal.

If a Cherokee is deep mudded - enough to throw it on the top of the motor - all fluids should be checked to see if water got into the transmission, transfer case or engine seals. The are designed to seal oil in, but aren't any good smacked with a 35 mph dunking. Any breather hoses that have breaks or are missing will leak fluids in, too.

Maybe we need more specific information to clear up what caused this.

Ok, I was (washing?) mudd off of my Engine the other day, and now my Trans does not want to shift right. It holds the gears and is running hotter.

If the TPS was bad, it probably wouldn't even start.

I'm pretty sure my XJ runs w/o the TPS connected. I'd have to test to be 100% sure, though.

The TPS on a automatic equiped rig has two sections. One that is for the fuel delivery system and one that is for the tranny. It is possible to have one section get hosed and the other not.

A vehicle will normally start with a bad TPS for the fuel deliver system, but when you bring it up off of an idle, the engine gets no more fuel and goes very lean.

The motor was not under water in the mudd. It was just some wet puddles. It was just a hose off of my house for the water. Everything was running fine on it until I washed the motor. Also driving it today. If it is holding a gear I just let off of the gas pedal and the jeep will up shift. There is a 3 wire plug comming off of the tps as well.

Tomorrow after I get home I will test the tps thanks for that info.

im my experience it was the tps... 93 auto 4.0 etc... wont shift much out of 1st for the longest time... then if you rev it to like 5k it would shift but hard... it would even come out of gear... etc... replaced my TPS yeah $50 bucks... and BAM no more problems and it runs much smoother

Couldnt be happier here.. try the TPS!!

Dumb TPS!!!! I had a hole TB with all the sensors in the Shed. 10mins of work drive lilke it should!!! Drove to a 4X4 show today before I changed it. doing down the highway with no OD. Now everythings is fine!!

Ive cut one apart and cleaned it out before and it works good as new again. I sealed it back up with silicone and then used gasket maker to seal it to the throttle body of my brothers rig. It saved him the cost of purchasing a new unit.

Back