• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold replacement

mr magoo

NAXJA Forum User
My mechanic said it would take about 4-5 hrs to put a new exhaust manifold on, does this sound right? I'll be doing it myself, any tips from others who have done this.

That's pretty close. I'm a service writer at a Ford dealership. Keep in mind that we (service advisors) will always pad the estimate on our side a little. Little things (broken bolts) are likely to happen.

Not trying to be a fl:flame: amer. but you guys are crooks. "pad the time on our side" Oh yeah that makes me feel better about getting ripped off. A novice could do it in his appartment parking lot in 3 hours-

SUA SPONTE said:
Not trying to be a fl:flame: amer. but you guys are crooks. "pad the time on our side" Oh yeah that makes me feel better about getting ripped off. A novice could do it in his appartment parking lot in 3 hours-

Can you do that repair in 3 hours time? If so....then you have removed yourself from the equation. Should be a non issue for you. I'd bet that most businesses do the same.

Do a little research on exhaust manifold replacement and you'll find plenty of write ups and directions. It should only take a novice about 3 hours taking their time and double checking everything. I've gotten down to 45 mintues, but I've done it a few times and know exactly what needs to be unbolted, how and what wrench size for each thing. Save yourself some grief and get a racheting 9/16" box wrench.

What year? The Renix years have the metal tube going from the ex to intake, which can be a pain. Later years are pretty easy, I don't remove all the fuel lines like the manuals say.

Back