• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Ball Joints & Spindle's

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I found a very good deal on a 98 XJ with some slight damage. From what I can tell, and what I've been told it looks like the ball joint is bent.

I'm wondering how hard it is to replace the ball joint/spindle assembly. My hopes are getting the mechanical fixed, and start chopping on the body for a trail rig.

Ball joints are not hard, just go rent a ball joint tool from Autozone.

XJ's don't have spindles either. They have unit bearings, which aren't servicable, aren't like the D44's or other axles that do have spindles.

Also, I'd probably say if the ball joint is bent (how can you tell its bent? I'd say they usually break) I would suspect the Inner C being bent, or the housing itself. The D30 isn't that strong.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I mis-spoke or used the wrong terms. Below is a pic of what I've been told I need to fix. Even if I have to replace the whole axle, this project is still a hell of a deal.

IMG00039_20090618_1225_800x600.sized.jpg

It looks like the ball joint isn't really bent, it's just not in the knuckle anymore.

I can't really tell from the angle of the picture, and the closeness of it, but it does seem like the inner C is bent. If the bottom ball joint is seated correctly, and the upper one looks like that, I would say you need to replace the axle.

It looks like the ball joint isn't really bent, it's just not in the knuckle anymore.

I can't really tell from the angle of the picture, and the closeness of it, but it does seem like the inner C is bent. If the bottom ball joint is seated correctly, and the upper one looks like that, I would say you need to replace the axle.

Thanks for the info. I figured worst case it would need a new axle. Here's a better image of the assembly.
IMG00033_20090618_1222_800x600.jpg

If it helps, here's the full gallery of pics I took of the jeep.
http://tim.midwestlost.com/gallery/98cherokee

Back