• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ no start...

Big Kev

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I went to go to work, turned the key and all the power comes on but no crank. Ran and got keys to the wife's jeep and tried mine again and it started. Drove to work and it started again to get me home. After that nothing. Guessing starter I pull that and take it to Napa. It tests bad, get a new one and put it in. Still have the same problem. I have checked and rechecked all the connections. Relay and fuse are acting/look normal. I guessed the connection that goes to the relay from the starter might not be good so I fixed it. There is good current from the connection on the starter to the plug just before the fuse/relay box.

After getting the connection on the starter fixed it did start once. I let it run for a couple minutes and shut it down. After that it has not started again.

What am I missing? What else should I be looking at? I have a hard time thinking that multiple things would crap out at once. What could a bad starter affect?

I am totally lost at this point. So what do you guys think? Give me some ideas.

:helpme:

Definitely sounds like the CPS (crank position sensor). Just search, actually I think there is even a FAQ on no-start problems.

Edit: I know better than to post after drinking, heh. Actually if it is not cranking it probably is not the CPS. Do your reverse lights work? If they don't, or are intermittent, chances are that the problem is the NSS. It can be cleaned fairly easily and should solve your problem.

Last edited:
For an intermittent no crank, try wiggling the shift lever while turning the key and also try starting in neutral. Success with either of those techniques indicates a faulty neutral safety switch.

Don't forget that you can jump across the two wire terminal posts on the starter with a screwdriver to verify that starter and battery are capable. You can also jump across the terminals at the NSS to verify that the NSS is or isn't a problem. BE CAREFUL when bypassing these safety systems that you are fully in PARK with the parking brake on. And your body isn't near the tires.

I am thinking I have a bad connection some where. Could be the positive lead going from the battery to the starter. Everything else I have looked at has been good. Is it possible to have a bad ground on the starter? How would I check for this? Where does the starter ground? I assumed with it bolted to the block it would be grounded there but I am not sure. It did start once with the new starter also so that is really throwing me off.

If it's a stick you may not be pushing the clutch down to the floor. A problem for my son with his size 17 boomdockers. Or its safety switch could be going.

if your jeep is an automatic and it wont turn over, its probably the neutral safety switch. it grounds the starter relay when the shifter is in park or neutral.

It is an auto. I had the wife turn the key and I put my hand on the relay for the starter. It clicked. I don't think it is the NSS. Would the starter relay still click if the NSS was bad?

If it's a stick you may not be pushing the clutch down to the floor. A problem for my son with his size 17 boomdockers. Or its safety switch could be going.

Its an auto. I didn't mention that earlier, sorry.

Are you sure the new starter isn't bad? It's possible to get a bad one off the shelf. Happened to me :)

I did pull the new starter and took it back to Napa. I also thought it might be bad, not unheard of. It tested good, and it has started once since I put it in.

I am still leaning toward a bad connection some place, but the only thing I have left would be the positive lead from the battery. I am also working all weekend so I won't have much time to play with it until monday.

I appreciate all the replies though, keep them coming it is giving me ideas where to look.

I think the battery is getting a good ground. Everything powers up when I turn the key.

Where are the engine block ground straps? I have not heard of these.

Would the starter relay still click when the key is turned if the NSS was bad?

I will check to see if the reverse lights work on monday.

Back