• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exterior care for my new XJ

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
I brought my new XJ home last night, and one of the first things I want to do is get it detailed really nice inside and out. Its in excellent shape for a 20 year old vehicle, and I would really like to keep it that way. What products and procedures would you guys recommend? I'm debadging it beforehand, and I have a set of newer-style decals to replace them with as well. I've never done any sort of exterior detailing before, the paint on my Cougar was already peeling when I got it. Should I just take it to a detail shop and have them do it? I don't want to screw it up by buffing it wrong or something.

I brought my new XJ home last night, and one of the first things I want to do is get it detailed really nice inside and out. Its in excellent shape for a 20 year old vehicle, and I would really like to keep it that way. What products and procedures would you guys recommend? I'm debadging it beforehand, and I have a set of newer-style decals to replace them with as well. I've never done any sort of exterior detailing before, the paint on my Cougar was already peeling when I got it. Should I just take it to a detail shop and have them do it? I don't want to screw it up by buffing it wrong or something.

Well I'd say strip the wax off of it then wax it again...............oh and try not to bang it off a tree like I did If you are worried about the paint! :D

oh and try not to bang it off a tree like I did If you are worried about the paint! :D

A good friend of mine and fellow XJ owner/wheeler once said and I quote, "They all end up like twisted little tin cans in the end". I agree and the journey sure is fun!

id keep it clean as possible. I can only assume the laquar on the xj is thin as hell because although bird droppings are bad for any car, it just seems to do a hundred times more damage on the jeep. Ive never seen anything remotley like it, even on old cars! I always try to make sure i wax mine once a month at least. Take a few seconds when deciding to park.

Back