• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB RADIO FINALLY

FireFly

NAXJA Forum User
i just put it in and its all dandy but i keep hearing about swr and spiking and such. its confusing, also is it normal to be driving down the town and not hear anything? even on channel 9?

Channel 9 is an emergency channel only, I highly dought it gets used too much anymore with the cell phones and all. Try channel 19.
Did you tune the antena? This is what you would use a swr meter for.

I am sure someone around you probably has one. I have one but am a bit far for you.

Or just cough up the $25 before you potentially damage the CB and read the instructins in the box. Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out.

What he said,

Dont quote me but if I remember correctly you plug in the meter and take a reading on channel 1 then on channel 40 then you adjust the antenna to where those numbers are close to the same. I could be talking out of my @ss here but that sounds about right.

Last edited:
well im sorry i dont have an extra 25 bucks to spend because of the transmission work i have to do. Do you know how expensive freaking tranny fluid is? im not running my cb since i dont get anything out of it now anyway so im not gonna break it. homebrew from what i researched your right about how to tune it. thank you for the help. Same to you brendan thanks a bunch for you help.

well im sorry i dont have an extra 25 bucks to spend because of the transmission work i have to do. Do you know how expensive freaking tranny fluid is? im not running my cb since i dont get anything out of it now anyway so im not gonna break it. homebrew from what i researched your right about how to tune it. thank you for the help. Same to you brendan thanks a bunch for you help.

Just keep in mind, using an untuned antenna CAN (and I emphasize CAN....not WILL) damage the transmitter in the CB. You can drive down here and borrow mine, but it'll cost ya $25 in gas to get here and back. =(

And testing is basically, pick a channel you use a lot....I tuned mine to channel 4. Flip a switch on the swr meter and adjust the dial until it's at 0. Then flip the switch again and depress the mic key. If it reads 1, you're perfect! If it's over 3, you're not so perfect.

Instructions will tell you to do what Paul said, tune it on 20, then check 1 and 40 and make sure they're within range as well.

ok sorry for spouting today hasnt been great. Im pretty sure Paul Airhart or builder has one i can borrow when i see them.

Heh, don't sweat it bro. We all have rough days....I had one today myself. UCSD is announcing paycuts, furloughs, and layoffs. =( Fortunately I don't fall into the latter group, but may be suffering some serious financial woes myself real soon here.

Heh, not to mention I got a kinda gruff exterior and have a habit of rubbing people the wrong way anywho. :gee:

Thank you..
I was trying to not get noticed..LOL..By the way he does..(doctor's note)Dam they Get all the good stuff too..LMAOparty1:

I think i have a SWR meter at my other house..I have to go there an do some work, so i will look today..I also need to set the wifes up

Last edited:
I have dealt with CB radios for most of my life. Tuning is nice, but not at all necessary. And yes, it’s completely normal to not hear anything at all sometimes.

Try channel 19 on the freeway at 5 pm. If you still don’t hear anything, it’s possible something is wrong :).

Heh, don't sweat it bro. We all have rough days....I had one today myself. UCSD is announcing paycuts, furloughs, and layoffs. =( Fortunately I don't fall into the latter group, but may be suffering some serious financial woes myself real soon here.

Heh, not to mention I got a kinda gruff exterior and have a habit of rubbing people the wrong way anywho. :gee:

I hear you bro, I work for HUSD and we have already done all of that as well and looking forward to another round of layoffs sometime in near future.

I also have a CB installed, but i am getting engine noise. Someone told me that if i wire direct to battery that will get rid of that...

what brand and model of radio did you install?

Back